cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any tricks to storing a fresh water filter?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2 pack of those basic blue colored water filters. The box says it lasts up to 3 months and store in the fridge.

Now what if i only filtered 100 gallons of regular quality tap water through it? Does it start to form mildew after 3 months? Or is the 3 months an estimate of gallons?

Guess i should probably email the manufacture. Instructions also say do not freeze.

What if i put 10 gallons through the filter every couple weeks to keep the water inside fresh? Maybe that could extend the life?
13 REPLIES 13

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cydog15 wrote:
I drink tap water since 1963 from any faucet or garden hose. Am I going to die?

There is a 100% chance you are gonna die! Same goes for those that eat carrots.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
come hence and drink after leaving a last request to donate all your assets to the poor...

1 one micron water filter
2. water softener for the dwelling and appliances
3. salt water grade Village R/O system for tap water with 13 gallon tank.

This is at home not at my medical hideout...

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
I drink tap water since 1963 from any faucet or garden hose. Am I going to die?

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filters filter out or trap the **** we should drink including bugs or molds algae etc and holds them.
After a season throw it out even if it still flows good.IMO
Some filters have silver in the carbon block and it kills bugs so about keeping it more than one year need to ask some but not mfg ho of course wants you to replace it often. Ceramic filters less than one micron or i/2 micron hold most bugs and algae etc on the surface and they come with a cleaning pad and instructions. However the ones I have have a carbon block inside the ceramic tube.
So? Best is to replace when they don't flow good, of course then annually even if they still flow and water seems good?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only drink tap water in my shore home where I know water quality, and it's after carbon filter, and even then I boil it before drinking (or it's boiled while making a meal).

In the field you are better off using 5-gal reverse osmosis water. One jar lasts more than a week for one person, this is only for drinking and making meals.

When buying filter cartridges, pay attention to micron rating. Similarly looking pleated filters can be 5 micron or 1 micron.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almot wrote:

There are different types of sediment cartridges that you can put in standard housing with cap:

1) Pleated paper - can be washed and reused,
2) Spun Poly - can not be reused,
3) Carbon - come in different grades, filter more than just sediments, can not be reused, some have additives that reportedly help with long-term storage but I wouldn't count on it.

1) Meh.. Cleaning and reusing paper filter media is not worth the time and effort for the small cost of the cartridge. Pleated paper also has much less filtering surface area and if you have heavy sediment will clog quickly.

2) Much superior over pleated paper for filtering and can last a long, long time. It IS possible to DRY it and reuse if you are really a skin flint. But, I really do not see the point of taking chances for the cost of less than $5 for a filter.

3) Carbon is not all what it is cracked up to be, can interact with minerals in your water and cause off taste and or smell.

I get it, everyone wants to save every Penny they can, but messing around with your life and health CAN end up costing you thousands of $ if you land in the Hospital for your cheapness.

As for Bleach, should not need to continually add it while in use for the season. Basically, it is a one and done thing unless you find yourself at a campground that has poorly treated or untreated water.

Now if you have a fresh water tank loaded and sitting for months at a time during the heat of the summer, ALL bets are off. Heat and moisture is prime breeding grounds for mold, bacteria and in spite of some of musings about the tanks being in the dark so nothing can grow, that is a fairy tail..

If you are not using the trailer for a month or so, might be good idea to drain the tank and perhaps give a shot of bleach for good measure.

Like I mentioned, I don't drink out of my trailer taps so not as worried about things that go bump in the pipes..

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check Filtersfast. Usually better price than brick stores. Same filters, same plastic housing and cap.

There are different types of sediment cartridges that you can put in standard housing with cap:

1) Pleated paper - can be washed and reused,
2) Spun Poly - can not be reused,
3) Carbon - come in different grades, filter more than just sediments, can not be reused, some have additives that reportedly help with long-term storage but I wouldn't count on it.

wopachop wrote:
Is there a common amount of bleach RV people add per 50 or 100 gallons?

About 3 oz per 100 gal while in storage. I don't think there is any hard number for this. If you put more bleach, and it sits longer, the chlorine will dissipate with time. But this is for long-term storage 6 months or longer. For in-use there is rarely a need to put bleach in tap water where there is already plenty of chlorine.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Im told the black tanks dont let in sunlight so water can sit for long periods. I dont drink the fresh water but i do shower and brush my teeth with it.

The water can sit for several months. It has two large fresh water tanks i hoped to fill them with nice filtered water and then not worry about letting it sit.

Need to refill again and thinking about using bleach. Is there a common amount of bleach RV people add per 50 or 100 gallons? I know the bleach container has dilution recommendations. Might be good to sanitize with a certain concentration and then fill with a much less?

Fountain pumps say to not use bleach. Does that matter for the concentration we would use compared to someone trying to keep their pond from turning green?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once or twice a year we will but a small amount of bleach in the water tank and run it through the pump and lines to each faucet/shower. Filters, either the blue canisters or replaceable ones are cheap enough to toss after three months. Having said that, the previous owner of our S&B had a blue inline filter to the fridge. Finally got around to changing it. 10 years after buying the house.

Anything that holds water, gets warm has the potential to grow stuff so should be managed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
Oh that looks nice!!
Do you ever put a very small amount of bleach into your fresh water?

I use one for my sticks and bricks, it is inline before my water softener. My RV, nope, no filter, don't drink out of any of the RV taps.

For RVing we simply buy $1 gallon bottles of drinking water for drinking, ice or preparing food.

For 2 weeks of camping we spend less than $10 for drinking water, although we do have a 3.5 Gallon water jug in our RV fridge which we preload with water from our home before we leave on a trip.

Sort of reduces the possibility of ingesting non regulated drinking water from highly questionable water sources which may have high bacteria levels. Not to mention different campground sources can have high mineral content which affects the taste. None of the cartridge filters can fix high mineral or bacteria issues.

For mineral issues you need a softener and bacterial needs things like a bleach treatment system or UV treatment system..

I find store bough water is simpler and not much cost for camping.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Oh that looks nice!!
Do you ever put a very small amount of bleach into your fresh water?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I save the caps, drain after use, & recap it. Throw away after my camping season.
I did not read the "store in fridge". I suspect that is to minimize any growth in it instead of leaving it in a hot RV iparked between uses.
I will probably go the route Gdetrailer recommends next year.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ditch the "one and done" filters, they are stupidly expensive for what you get.

Instead get one of these..

$35 at Home Depot.

Then you can simply buy the replacement cartridges like these..

For $9 for two filters..

You will need to buy garden hose to 3/4 threaded pipe adapters.

Once done, you will have a much better filter that will outperform any throwaway cartridge in flow and cost.

When done camping, remove the filter cartridge and toss it, dry inside of filter housing and put away.

Your life is certainly worth much more than the $5 per filter..

Recycling throwaway filters is not worth taking a chance with your health..