cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using 2 smartphones for a live stream backup camera?

billinnc
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using 2 smartphones to live stream as backup camera ?
11 REPLIES 11

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
Update... As long as one smartphone is activated, using it as a hotspot forces the use of Wi-Fi over Bluetooth (and works for my application). There shouldn't be any data usage on the activated phone.
With two inactivated (old) phones the router will allow them to work, but using the wifi hotspot requires one activated phone.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:

Just get a cheap wireless router and an inverter to power it. You don't need internet access, just a network. I'm not sure if you could do it with Facetime, but there are plenty of Apps that let you stream a live camera feed.

-Michael

Uhmm. Never thought of that. I do have an old wireless G router. Now that you have me thinking, I wonder if using my activated phone as a hotspot for the old phone would provide the same function? Google time!!!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
RJCorazza wrote:
I have tried several times using an old (not activated) Iphone without success. The Bluetooth connection will not work from the cab of my truck to the tailgate for hitching. I want a portable battery operated wireless system.

Just get a cheap wireless router and an inverter to power it. You don't need internet access, just a network. I'm not sure if you could do it with Facetime, but there are plenty of Apps that let you stream a live camera feed.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried several times using an old (not activated) Iphone without success. The Bluetooth connection will not work from the cab of my truck to the tailgate for hitching. I want a portable battery operated wireless system.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it's possible but have no idea why anyone would want to do it when complete backup camera systems are available on eBay at around $65 shipped.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Good Idea.

I use two for aligning my manual sat dish. I put one near the TV so I can hear the tone and then listen to the other one while I move the dish to find the best signal. There is a small delay so I move and then pause in small increments.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
Provided you have reception you sure could. I've used my GOpro in much the same way you would use two phones but I don't need phone reception to do it.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
We tried using FaceTime once but the little screen and poor reception made it useless. Most places we camp have weak 3G cell service if any at all

Linc

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Two Iphones. One in RV logged onto facetime and aimed at your choice. Second Iphone connects with facetime of first camera. Eats data by the bucket loads but possible.

billinnc
Explorer
Explorer
Android has app Ustream that can be used to live stream to upto 7 devices. Apple has something similar.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
How would you do that? I'm guessing, set the camera phone as a WIFI hotspot, or Bluetooth them together. But how would you get the display phone to capture the images?
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!