cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water Heater Temp Control Valve Help

JTexas
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 Weekender's water heater stopped heating recently. The pilot would light perfectly but as soon as I turned it to ON the pilot would extinguish. I deduced (hopefully correctly) that I needed to replace the temperature control valve.

I've done this a few times on domestic natural gas water heaters so I figured it wouldn't be an issue doing it myself.

Installation would smooth, no issues. Filled water heater back up, no leaks. Turned on propane and held pilot down and poured soapy water over gas line...no bubbles.

Lit pilot light with no issue. Held pilot down for about a minute then turned it to the on position. Immediately flames burst over entire unit. Ran and turned the propane off and no damage is done.

Would love to figure out what the issue is. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Not sure how to post pictures but it's an Atwood Water Heater with a brand new Robert Shaw Unitrol temp control valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would suspect you failed to reinstall the orifice. THAT would allow unmetered LP gas to flow thru the Burner tube and cause your type problem. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I had that happen on an old one, but not new. The trick is to figure out where the gas is leaking- output manifold, orifice, valve body.
-- Chris Bryant

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a plugged orifice or burner tube.
Did you replace the thermal couple? The pilot heats the thermal couple which produces a low voltage out put which opens the main gas valve.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker