cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water Heater

3rdturnfence
Explorer
Explorer
The Atwood water heater in my 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow has acted up since I bought the unit in 2009.

For the longest time the pilot light indicator would be lite on the monitor, but the unit required a few (3 or 4) on/offs to light. After a while, I had to go out and slightly twist the connector on the board for the unit to light. This intermittent issue continued for a few years until I replaced the wiring harness.

After I replaced the harness the unit starts without problem as long as the tank is in use. if it sits( overnight for example) then the switch on the monitor must be turned off and then on for the unit to start. It starts right up with a flick of the switch.

In addition, unlike before I changed the wiring harness, the pilot light on the monitoring unit is never lite up.

Anyone have any similar problems?
2 REPLIES 2

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood has an "edge connector" between its logic board and the rest of the wiring. You can clean one side with a pencil eraser. The other is more difficult, and the tension can go out of the spring contacts on one side. It's possible to tighten those by pulling some arch back into them with a dental pick.

It's been awhile since I tinkered with one so I can't be more specific. Anyhow, they're a problem with Atwood and you seem to have found that.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'light' is a FAULT light......comes on when it fails to light off and locks out. To reset you have to turn switch off/on.

Intermittent firing is typical of dirty/lose connections.........either on power connectors or grounds

Here is wiring schematic---should be similar to your vintage

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31