cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto Level raises wheels off ground

pioneerclaims
Explorer
Explorer
When I used the Auto Level feature in my Open Range fiver (on fairly level ground), all four wheels were in the air. I could freely spin all four. This doesn't seem right to me. I went into manual mode and lowered the rears, then the fronts until the tires were back on solid ground. Any idea why this happened, and how to keep it from happening again????

Thanks,

Z
Steve Z and sometimes... Debbie, Jon, Chris, Aleyna
2015 Open Range 2015 ROAMER RF337RLS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 4-Door Diesel
Triumph 170CC Center Console Bay Boat in tow
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You need to state what brand and system you have. "Most" 5th wheel auto level systems will drop the hitch all the way down and then level the front and then the rear. IF you start with the Hitch pinbox higher than level(after unhooking from your truck) and the system does NOT drop the Hitch pin DOWN below level, then the rear jacks will attempt to raise the rear to level the trailer. THAT will cause the tires to leave the ground and they should NEVER be off the ground. Doug

MrWizard
Auto level wants to adjust all jacks
So it raises the low end until it is high then raises the other end until it matches
You can try recalibrating , but I have found manual mode works best, all the time
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Cree does the same. Nice if you have a flat.
Bill and Joey the dog

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
My parking area slopes to the curb side so the curb side tires end up in the air. On a level area, If I start the auto level with the RV already lifted somewhat then all 4 tires can be in the air when it is level. If I start the leveling process with all jacks retracted and the front a little low then the tires end up on the ground. If it concerns you, I suggest you start this way.

If you completely suspend the suspension, the axles can drop to the point such that the shackles in the center equalized can flip down and it is a real pain to get them back to their up position. It just happened to me when I lifted the whole RV up to replace all of the tires.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to recalibrate the system. You should find the information on the door by our panel or in the instruction manual that came with the 5er. I have had to do this to ours before.