Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Autoformer, Surge Protector and 30 AMP Sites

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I have a Cameo 5th Wheel and recently added in some electrical system protection.
I added a Hughes 50AMP Autoformer and a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Power Protection System.

I have questions about reading the EMS-HW50C Display when we are connected to a 30AMP site.

Since the input power from the 30AMP pedestal only provides power to L1, do I pay any attention to what L2 is showing?

I'm wondering if the Autoformer somehow "splits" the 30AMP power over both L1 and L2.
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are mistaken the ADAPTER (not the pedestal) Supplies power to both L-1 and L-2, It simply connects them together So yes You add the L-1 amps to the L-2 amps for total amp draw on a 30 amp site.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IF you are using a 30A male to 50A female adapter then BOTH L1 and L2 on 50a are HOT----30A is jumpered to both legs
(30A male plugged into power pedestal and then YOUR 50A cord plugged into the 50A female end of adapter)

Autoformer only looks at voltage and boosts if low

EMS-----Progressive Surge Protector also looks at voltage (HI/LO) and open/grounded circuits

Just an update the new Huges Autoformer has diagnostics for missing neutral, open groung, reverse polarity, and surge protection.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

MrWizard
YES
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
So I read the AMPs for both L1 and L2 and add them together to know how many AMPs total we're using.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you are using a 30A male to 50A female adapter then BOTH L1 and L2 on 50a are HOT----30A is jumpered to both legs
(30A male plugged into power pedestal and then YOUR 50A cord plugged into the 50A female end of adapter)

Autoformer only looks at voltage and boosts if low

EMS-----Progressive Surge Protector also looks at voltage (HI/LO) and open/grounded circuits

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31