cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic Transfer Switch

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2010 Fuzion 405 and need to replace the automatic transfer switch and want to know what is the best brand to buy. I have a WFCO WF-T57 installed in it now and it has a manufacture date 6/2013. Doesn't look like this one lasted very long so I'm thinking about getting another brand.
Also does anyone know if there could be something wrong in the system that caused this one to fail so soon.

Thanks,
Dennis
16 REPLIES 16

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Circuit breakers with mechanical interlock.......only one source breaker can be closed at a time

Have to say Old Biscuit is genius. Looks just like mine. My box is Square D and the interlocking device is Siemens. Took a chance that I could adapt it when I ordered it . It worked with a very small modification consisting of trimming a tab slightly.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
my first motorhome had a fail proof transfer switch. plugged 30 amp cord into gen set and could run generator on the move. in a campground, just unplugged cord from gen set and ran to campground post. cheap,easy,foolproof, best of both worlds.
only problem is if the campground electricity would go off in the middle of the night/rainstorm, one would have to go out and plug it into gen set. never happened to me.
bumpy

That's the way mine worked, until it didn't.

The circuit breaker will not work in an RV. Shore power must have the neutral and ground separated. The circuit breaker style does not switch the neutral.

Mine works fine. 30 amps up front and 50 amps in the rear. The 30 amp breaker has a jumper that makes all circuits common.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use 100-ampere rated mercury filled relays. Arc proof, shock proof, corrosion proof. Can switch an active 100 amp full-bore load on or off hundreds of times with no problems.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: enblethen on 12/19/14 09:39am

Transfer switches should last many years.
Loose terminations can cause early failures.
Another source of failures is the switching of heavy loads like 120 volt water heater elements, AC units, clothes dryers and electric heaters. These items should be shut off prior to switching loads, connecting to/from shore power.

Remember you are bouncing a vehicle down a bumpy road things get loose and come apart - If it's Tuesday the water heater will not work, Wednesday the frig, etc.. A little maintenance goes a longs ways. Quality transfer relays can easily last 10 or more years

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The circuit breaker will not work in an RV. Shore power must have the neutral and ground separated. The circuit breaker style does not switch the neutral.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Circuit breakers with mechanical interlock.......only one source breaker can be closed at a time

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
My recommendation:

Take the wire from the generator and connect it to an outlet in a box. Hook the power cord directly to the wire going to the breaker box. When you need power from the generator, plug the power cord into the outlet that is powered by the generator.

The only failure is forgetting to plug into the generator.

yep, that is basically how my motorhome was set up. no "switches" and potentially failing electrical devices involved.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My recommendation:

Take the wire from the generator and connect it to an outlet in a box. Hook the power cord directly to the wire going to the breaker box. When you need power from the generator, plug the power cord into the outlet that is powered by the generator.

The only failure is forgetting to plug into the generator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Transfer switches should last many years.
Loose terminations can cause early failures.
Another source of failures is the switching of heavy loads like 120 volt water heater elements, AC units, clothes dryers and electric heaters. These items should be shut off prior to switching loads, connecting to/from shore power.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your reply's. It sounds like a common problems with a few brands. It looks like I can get the PD-52V for $140.00, but I'm wondering how long it will last.
Mikestock and Old Biscuit do you have any links to the mechanical breakers that you use, I do a lot better with pictures. I remember on some boats that use a manual breaker that you slide a bar and could choose either shore power or generator, I'm wondering if that is what your using.
Thanks again,
Dennis

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
One from progressive dynamics
PD transfer switch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first motorhome had a fail proof transfer switch. plugged 30 amp cord into gen set and could run generator on the move. in a campground, just unplugged cord from gen set and ran to campground post. cheap,easy,foolproof, best of both worlds.
only problem is if the campground electricity would go off in the middle of the night/rainstorm, one would have to go out and plug it into gen set. never happened to me.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IOTA has recalls
WFCO has issues
Parallax has problems

SO........

Like 'mikestock' I did something similar.......sorta

After 2 transfer switches failed (1st within 8 mos and limited use.......replacement was bad right out of box)......went manual.

I have 2 power cord connection on my 5vr. One front and one rear.
Install of a transfer switch I used a sub-panel with 2 50A double pole breakers mechanically interlocked. They then feed main AC panel.

And I can get 'parts' when/if needed at just about any hardware store for $12
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I used one similar to this until I started smelling the insulation melting. It lasted about two years. Very cheaply made and sold under several brand names. It, looked like the problem began with one of the factory installed jumpers, although I actually checked all of the connection screws when installing.

When I replaced it I went with two feeders in my main power box. One is a 50 amp and the other a 30 amp with a mechanical interlock to prevent both breakers from being engaged at the same time.