cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera has no power

DunnInn
Explorer
Explorer
After lots of testing, we've determined there is no power to our backup camera. It looks like the previous owner replaced the original monitor with a Kenwood GPS model radio and also replaced the original backup camera. Our guess is that this was done by a audio shop. Soooo, anybody have any opinions on where we should take the rv to have this repaired? An RV shop or an audio store? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DunnInn wrote:
It's been working for the last 7 years and suddenly quits.

This changes the whole conversation. A connection or wire somewhere has broken. Easiest to just pull a new wire. Have you done any work on the RV? Driven any nails or screws in?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Or it could be wired into the running lights.

This is worth checking. Are the running lights working. If not, then good chance the camera power is not present because the running lights fuse has blown.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Dunninn....

An issue like this is going to be near impossible to trouble shoot on this forum.

Bill

DunnInn
Explorer
Explorer
Camera is a Power Acoustik. It's hooked into a Kenwood GPS/radio/video system. We THINK the previous owner had the original monitor and radio replaced with the Kenwood unit and they also put in a new camera. They probably just did the quickest thing they could to hook it up. Unfortunately, that leaves us in the dark - literally. It's been working for the last 7 years and suddenly quits. REALLY thought it was just the camera, but after a lot of testing, we're seeing that the camera isn't getting any power to it even though there seems to be power running from the front of the rv.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
The back up camera should only have power when the RV is in reverse.

Just an FYI. This is not necessarily correct. Some can be wired to always be on, not just in reverse. In fact, mine is wired so the monitor comes on automatically when I start the engine. 95% of the time I leave the monitor on to serve as my rear view mirror while driving down the highway.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an owners manual for the backup system? What make & model is the system?

DunnInn
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't contacted the previous owner. We've had the coach since 2013 and didn't have any contact info for them, unfortunately.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Have you called the previous owner for some help?

DunnInn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rocker switch on the front panel that lets us turn on the camera whenever we want. We've checked the power coming from the switch and it has power from there, also has power in the front running to the back, so SOMEWHERE between the front and the back, it's broken, unplugged, etc. It's a 41 foot Newmar Dutch Star, and 41 feet is a lot to try to fish wires through.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Or it could be wired into the running lights.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
The back up camera should only have power when the RV is in reverse.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go to audio shop.

My nephew works in an audio shop that works exclusively installing gps, audio, alarms, etc on new and used car dealerships as well as on friends and family's car's systems and can pin point the problem right away.