cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries question

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
i was wondering if there would be issues of adding two six volt batteries independent of the factory twelve volt set up. I want to add the six volts and charge them using a generator , until I can get solar set up and run cable to the inverter only and plug in the shore power cord to the inverter. thoughts ?

TIA, Joe
13 REPLIES 13

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I think I will give it a try ....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have two unequal battery banks. I put the switch(es) between the banks and the inverter. I can use either one, or both to power the inverter. I can use one bank and charge the other. It is cheaper and more flexible than an A,B,Both,Off type of switch.

And yes, you can turn off the converter at the breaker panel. Mine is a plug in unit so I simply have a default of unplugged. That leaves me with only the fridge to move to propane.

12rvjoe wrote:
Thanks for the input, Don. Could you please elaborate re the inverter and switch ...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
^^^^ yes, although there are probably a few other items on that branch circuit.

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Could I just turn the converter off at the breaker ??

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some MHs tow a cargo trailer done up as a power station like that.

You can have the portable power station in the truck (but not so neat for going sight-seeing in the truck) and just plug the Rv shore power cord into the inverter in the truck.

You will need to "manage" the 120v stuff in the RV so it does not drain the batteries in the truck too much despite the solar helping in daytime.

12v in the RV can be from its own battery as usual or from its converter. In this case there is no "loop" to the batteries the inverter is on. But the converter can be a big draw on the inverter.

Needs some juggling and the Trimetric won't be showing the state of play for the batteries in the truck to help with the juggling act.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reading your original post it appears you want to install a 2nd or 3rd (motor home)12volt system independent of the existing system(s)

(On a motor home one system is the "Truck Parts" (Motor) and the 2nd (Which is common to trailers)is "Home".

So long as the system is independent...There can not POSSIBLY be a problem. (Assumes proper installation methods were used)

IF you want to parallel this new 12 volt system with the existing one... That too should work.

NOTE: you are not installing two Six volt batteries so much as a single BIG 12volt battery in 2 pieces....Think of the pair that way, As a single 12volt,Many questions go POOF if you do that.

DO pay attention to Polarity. AND use proper fuses
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am looking at this this way. Using gen/solar, inverter and charge controller as a stand alone portable power station that would stay in the bed of my truck to be used only for boondocking and leaving it at home and using the factory set up for FHU's. Just toying with the idea so as not to be hauling all when not needed ....

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Joe,
I think you're mixing "inverter" with "converter". Your onboard converter uses shore power to charge batteries and provide 12 V power. An inverter takes 12 V power from batteries and provides 120 V AC.

There are no issues about leaving a 2 x 6 V battery set independent of the trailer's original 12 V battery. The question arises, why? If you wire the new 6 V's into the RV's charging circuit, when you're on shore power they get charged. Also, connecting the 6 V set into the existing 12 V power distribution, the whole battery bank nets you more power.

If you want to use the 6V's as an emergency backup, wire all the batteries together and use a main battery disconnects switch that has four positions: Battery 1, battery 2, Battery 1&2, off.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, Don. Could you please elaborate re the inverter and switch ...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What you wish to do can be done. However, when drawing on the inverter, it would be better for it to draw on all possible batteries. Add a switch similar to this one from Napa
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I mean to not have the six volt batteries hooked to or connected to the trailer in anyway other than through the inverter and power cord

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what you mean by independent. If you are connecting all batteries together.. here are some other posts.

Add 12v to 2 6v
12 and 2 6v 2010
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman