cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charger for 5th wheel batteries

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it in forum search for the life of me.

Our 5th wheel converter went out, so for a few days I've been charging the batteries from an automotive, 10 amp, battery charger. It's one where (supposedly) you can leave it plugged in and it will trickle charge. It worked fine for a few days then died. So I'm wondering, does anyone have recommendations for a good one? Preferably one I can buy locally or order from Amazon.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
2004 33RL Colorado 5th wheel
2013 Ram SLT Cummins dually

Full-timing since February 2015!
20 REPLIES 20

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
It could also simply be the reverse polarity fuses on the converter are blown or there is no AC power to converter. A simple multi meter can be used to confirm output DC voltage from converter. And your converter is behind basement wall. Simple to replace.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp so I've transferred a deck-mount IOTA-55 (w/ charge controller) to 3 trailers now. Currently it's mounted in the pass-through and wired directly to the battery. The factory WFCO is still in place but the AC power to it is disconnected.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
However.. For now... What I did last year.

Sunday before Halloween I noticed low voltage. A quick check with meters. converter shot (Progressive Dynamics 9180+wizard over 12 years old).

No way to get a new one on Sunday so I got a Deltran Battery Tender DELUX. this is not your little hand held "power brick" size box. this is a full size portable charger 20 amps on BOOST mode 70 on Jump Start or 1-2 for maintaince. Wi-Fi connect to a phone app (Android for sure) 24 hours later it dropped out of BOOST and off I headed to a little town in Mi called Tekonsha home of Tekonsha Engineering where they make brake controllers... Also where I grew up.

Overnighted at the T/A Truck stop. originally this was the Tekon Truck stop and the model upon which all the Big Truck plazas are built.

Then on Halloween I drove the towed to Marshall (About 15 miles) and back "home" with a brand new factory Refurb 9180.. Hooked it up and headed south for the winter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really like Progressive Dynamics converters. Have done quite a bit of research looking for a better one ... have yet to find. The IOTA is "As good" (With IQ4) as a PD Charge Wizard unit for MOST people (I am an exception and I've been very glad I had the PD from time to time)

Best way to charge the RV's battery ... Put in a PD Wizard controled unit and plug in the trailer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
I was in a similar position - went to Walmart and bought a Schumacher battery charger; Server me well for many years since and is now kept in the TT for emergency service.
X2 here

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a similar position - went to Walmart and bought a Schumacher battery charger; Server me well for many years since and is now kept in the TT for emergency service.
Gerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine was behind the wall in the basement, not easily found. Had to totally unload the basement to take the wall down. Going to see about relocating it. There should be a power outlet in back of the distribution center, that power cord from there goes to the converter. Follow the cord and find your converter.

I had a WFCO and replaced it with a PowerMax. The PowerMax is supposed to be a better converter and cost half the price of WFCO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
jayspi wrote:
The power distribution panel is an wfco 8930/50, so I'm guessing the converter is also wfco. Still can't find it though.
Probably going to be a 9800 series WFCO converter. This will be a separate deck mount converter and can be easily replaced with a superior Progressive Dynamics, PowerMax, or IOTA converter.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-893050/

The 8930/50 can be coupled with any of the WF-9800 switch mode converters with 55, 65, or 75 Amps

May need to remove a few screws and look behind the distribution panel.
Converter should look like this:

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Are you sure one of the batteries hasn't failed?

In sure. I had our 6 volt batteries from our last rig. I put them in and they're not charging either.

People in the Momentum owners group on Facebook say the fuse on the converter blows a lot. I want to replace it as long as it won't void the warranty, but first I have to find it lol.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure one of the batteries hasn't failed?

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
jayspi wrote:
time2roll wrote:
What converter do you have? For a few $$ more you could just replace the converter. If it is a WFCO replace with something else.

We just got this RV so I'm not sure. I'm trying to find it tonight.

It's a Momentum 354M. I'd expect it to be behind the breaker box where they are on many other Momentums, but so far no luck.

The power distribution panel is an wfco 8930/50, so I'm guessing the converter is also wfco. Still can't find it though. I can find tank monitor, vacuum cleaner, generator control box, and lighting control, but not the converter.

Gotta keep digging I guess....

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Like Sound Guy, I have a C-Teck charger to use on any battery. The one I have is an 8 stage charger.

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
What converter do you have? For a few $$ more you could just replace the converter. If it is a WFCO replace with something else.

We just got this RV so I'm not sure. I'm trying to find it tonight.

It's a Momentum 354M. I'd expect it to be behind the breaker box where they are on many other Momentums, but so far no luck.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

http://www.bestconverter.com/

Otherwise look here for some 5 to 10 amp chargers. Most of these are very good.

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/