Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
2011 tioga Montara, has WFCO WF8955AN Converter
Rv is plugged into house, it was completely closed up and propane was off, the propane alarm was going off Saturday am I went in hit reset opened 2 vents and left, came back later and it was going off again. I checked the batteries they are under steps near the propane detector. The voltage was good at 13.68 but I could hear a real slight gurgle when very close to them, also a bubble or 2 while I had the tops off. Water level looked okay just below top but the plates were covered. I shut everything off and unplugged from house. The voltage immediately dropped to 13.49. On Sunday (today) I checked voltage today at 2:00 and it was 12.74, then about 4:30 pm it was 12.68 . Could my batteries be going bad? Trying to locate the reciept I believe they are from 2014 or 2015. Connections look good no corrosion.

Any ideas ? Thank you marty
Marty
6 REPLIES 6

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
OP here- temps have been in the upper 90's here in Florida, I will keep an eye on them. checked at 7:00 pm eastern and they were at 12.65 with nothing on but the propane detector and any parasitic drag I don't know about

Thanks for the info/advice
Marty

MrWizard
what was/is the ambient air temp, how hot are the batteries

your batteries voltage is find, i suspect the 'detector' was alarming because of the very slight amount of hydrogen sulfide gas that was being released

13.68v might be a tad high for float voltage at 100*

depending on battery chemistry

at high summer temps setting unused, a low amp battery tender is a better option than some converters for correct float voltage
a battery is unlikely to bubble a pair of batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
marty1300 wrote:
2011 tioga Montara, has WFCO WF8955AN Converter

Any ideas ? Thank you marty
WFCO is junk any way. I recommend replacement.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-Main-Board-Assembly-for-WFCO-8955_c_196.html

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries seem great by those measurements. There will always be bubbles when chargimg.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anytime you disturb your batteries, you'll get some release of bubbles, they get trapped by the plate seperators. If I were you, I'd look into getting a Progressive Dynamics converter, much better than the WFCO. Probably sulphated to some degree. I'd monitor the drop over a 24 hour period to see if they are on the way out,,,
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
12.6 is full battery. 12.1 is 50% discharged.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter