cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery questions and issues

CODan
Explorer
Explorer
new RV owner here - 2000 Tioga 24', had it thoroughly checked on and repaired when we got it, then it sat for 2 years unusued. Now I'm trying to get systems going.

Batteries were brand new 2 years ago.

When I parked it I pulled the 2 6V batteries (which were wired in series) and put one of the batteries on a trickle charger I use for my car and motorcycles. Unfortunately I charged ONE of the 6V batteries at 12 volts for about 12 hours before I discovered my mistake, then switched it to 12V.

Did I ruin this battery?

I correctly charged the other battery at 6V.

The batteries check out at 6V each when tested individually, or 12+ volts when wired in series.I took a photo for reference before I disconnected them so I know I got them right.

I've put the batteries back in, wired in series , but have problems when checking things out on 12V.

Everything works perfectly on 120 volts - heater, water pump, lights. But only the lights (LEDs) work when on 12 volts.

The water pump runs on battery (very quietly) but doesn't pump any water. I can't hear any water being moved at all. If I plug into 120 it works perfectly.

And it seems like the voltage goes down VERY quickly.

Any thoughts?

Thank you. I'm not generally dumb (just RVs) so maybe I'll be able to help one day.
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CODan wrote:
Well, someone that knew what they were doing came out and looked at my batteries. No liquid at all.
Several of us said that. First thing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CODan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, someone that knew what they were doing came out and looked at my batteries. No liquid at all. I'd never opened the battery (never occurred to me that I could) so I killed them somehow. I think that maybe I left them in the RV over a CO winter, uncharged, and I had forgotten that. It's been a tough couple of years.

2 new batteries and everything is good.

My wife says "It's a learning process" and I'll take that point of view.

Sorry for the stupidity, I'm an idiot on electricity.

Thanks to all.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
CODan wrote:
No, were not uncharged. I charged them over the 2 years they sat in my garage, just used the wrong voltage the first day and now I have trouble with my 12V systems.
Thinking more about this, i wonder if its just a connection issue. Make all the metal parts shiny and put it back together.

Doesnt sound like his batteries are dead. Could just be a dirty ground.
You could probe the battery terminal and have someone turn on the water pump. Take note of the voltage drop.

Also try probing the lead battery terminal, then probe the actual wire. Ive seen a huge difference when you probe the nut that tightens the wires down, versus probing the actual lead terminal.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A $20 digital meter is adequate
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If your voltmeter won't read "as exact as 6.4" then it's worthless. Get a good voltmeter or your just guessing.
A 12v trickle charger likely won't damage a 6v battery in a few hours. Not checking the water in flooded batteries for 2 years likely will damage them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob few folks have a charger that could equalize a 6 volt jar--so I suggest put them in series--and equalize charge them. I'm sure that's what BFL13 was talking about.

Try and keep your cool with this heat wave!!!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13:
He has 2 - 6V batteries... ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Canโ€™t follow your story on the batteries and wonโ€™t try.
And no reason your 12V stuff is not working if both batteries are over 6v, if even for a little while if theyโ€™re weak.
Get a hydrometer if you actually want to check the batteries.
Get a better multi meter if you intend on doing any electrical work.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Load tests are done on full batteries, but OP does not know if they are even close to full. An hydrometer would answer that.

The charging that was done on and off the past two years was a good thing, but as well, you should have charged them right up at 14.6ish volts every couple of months so they won't stratify.

Hard to say if they can be "recovered" from that, but maybe. You need to recharge them to full as they can get at 14.6 now and then do an "equalize" for a few hours at 15.5 or 16 volts, and see if the SG is up close to where it belongs with your hydrometer.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CoDan,

I'd suggest doing an equalization charge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
CODan wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Absolutely hands down a load test by a good battery shop will answer your battery questions far better than any other test. An auto store is not a good battery shop

I'm 4 hours from the nearest "battery shop" I'm sure.
Dont worry about it. That was bad advice you should not follow. Reason is because the load tests will often call an OK battery a bad battery. Im assuming youre trying to save money or you would just buy new batteries.

CODan
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Absolutely hands down a load test by a good battery shop will answer your battery questions far better than any other test. An auto store is not a good battery shop

I'm 4 hours from the nearest "battery shop" I'm sure.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just continue to charge them overnight, then go from there.
Disconnect the charger.
Let them sit for an hour or so before checking the voltage again.
Then get back to us.