cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bedside Assistance For Appliances

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
NOTE: The following is purposed for an ambulatory person (me), but stuck in a stick & brick, because of extensive upcoming recuperation time following multiple surgeries. i.e. "Almost Bedridden". I need all the clever ideas, hints and other input I can get.

Items of interest are a laptop computer, a 27" monitor, audio system, and wireless computer keyboard. Two appliances are involved: A rolling legs-go-under-the-bed, hospital type tilt tray, and a Snuffy Smith plywood motif foot of the bed "bridge" spanning the width of the bed and moveable via it's casters. The tilt tray would have no wired devices on it. The rolling tilt tray would be positioned opposite the normal enter and exit side of the bed.

I have come up with the (hot?) idea of making an arch or bridge that would place both the monitor and speaker systems right at the foot of the bed. This critter would span the width of the bed and be designed so tipping would be most improbable. In keeping with the Snuffy Smith furniture motif of the umbilical house, 3/4" plywood would be suitable. Perhaps with stout corner gussets. Perhaps 18" front-to-back.

4 nice casters fastened inboard of the vertical wings so tripping would be minimized.

That way the laptop could lay plugged-in atop the bridge. The Amazon purchased bedside tilt table would hold a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the entire laptop. The bridge could contain receptacles for various power outlet plug-ins and speakers. The tilt tray could permanently hold wireless receptacle on-off buttons to control the monitor and speaker power.

The bridge can be rolled away from the bed and be appropriately positioned in front of a recliner chair (a dream for the future). Same with the bed tilt tray. Lowered to fit the height of the chair

This grand plan sounds-too-good-to-be-true. What am I missing?
6 REPLIES 6

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
NOTE: The following is purposed for an ambulatory person (me), but stuck in a stick & brick, because of extensive upcoming recuperation time following multiple surgeries. i.e. "Almost Bedridden". I need all the clever ideas, hints and other input I can get.

Items of interest are a laptop computer, a 27" monitor, audio system, and wireless computer keyboard. Two appliances are involved: A rolling legs-go-under-the-bed, hospital type tilt tray, and a Snuffy Smith plywood motif foot of the bed "bridge" spanning the width of the bed and moveable via it's casters. The tilt tray would have no wired devices on it. The rolling tilt tray would be positioned opposite the normal enter and exit side of the bed.

I have come up with the (hot?) idea of making an arch or bridge that would place both the monitor and speaker systems right at the foot of the bed. This critter would span the width of the bed and be designed so tipping would be most improbable. In keeping with the Snuffy Smith furniture motif of the umbilical house, 3/4" plywood would be suitable. Perhaps with stout corner gussets. Perhaps 18" front-to-back.

4 nice casters fastened inboard of the vertical wings so tripping would be minimized.

That way the laptop could lay plugged-in atop the bridge. The Amazon purchased bedside tilt table would hold a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the entire laptop. The bridge could contain receptacles for various power outlet plug-ins and speakers. The tilt tray could permanently hold wireless receptacle on-off buttons to control the monitor and speaker power.

The bridge can be rolled away from the bed and be appropriately positioned in front of a recliner chair (a dream for the future). Same with the bed tilt tray. Lowered to fit the height of the chair

This grand plan sounds-too-good-to-be-true. What am I missing?

why not keep it simple and just rent a hospital roll-away bedside table? check with a local hospital/medical supply company.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The table support legs will not go under the chair.

Mine will. I got one of those before the pillow. It was a bit difficult to move it in and out.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks senor. But the laptop is connected to the display via a cord I cannot eliminate. And a dangling laptop is not in the cards. So I was thinking a remote switched duplex could power both the monitor and the sound system. When my dream recliner comes I wish to swivel whatever the monitor and sound system rests on, over to the recliner.

Maybe I should ask about folk's experience with an easy rolling caster brand. All four have to swivel. Is there a "better" than ordinary caster? I thought about the hospital type bedside tilt table and I need to work out a better idea for use with the recliner. The table support legs will not go under the chair.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always hang up smaller screen to the ceiling 1/2 way to the wall.
I am actually considering similar project for my whirlpool.
Even my laptop sitting on whirlpool edge did not die from water exposure, I would like to use it for movies as well and big screen is really tempting.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wall is 13' distant from weak eyeballs. Would need a 60" monitor. But thank you for your tip!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am visual person and got lost in your description, but think I got the main point.
I like to use laptop on recliner and one of those is very convenient.
Personally I am more in favor or touch pad than mouse.
For bed application all you need is 40" or more monitor on the wall.