cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank chemicals

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
what kind of wast digester does everyone use?? iam wanting to switch i am using ODERLESS it doesnt seem to be working.. iam not a full timer but useto be can i get some feed back please
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member
74 REPLIES 74

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
My friends all make fun of me for putting computer fans in weird spots.

I'm gonna mount one on top my black tank vent!! At some point I meant to get a reversible fan for the bathroom roof vent. Same idea of keeping odors from rising out the toilet.

I never add chemical. Winter time it's no big deal. Summer temps i was having problems with what I think was gray tank smells. You guys told me to check the vent under the sink. I covered it with a plastic bag last year to test.

Will have to see how it goes this summer.

I think my trailer has tank vent caps that use wind to suck odors out the tank. Doesn't seem to work.

There was a time I goofed up and forgot to dump. Had the trailer on a jobsite. Flushing produced bad smells. Wish I had thought to put a fan on top the black tank vent.

That would be a sweet mod; Some kind of fan on the vent that automatically kicks in while the toilet flush valve is open. :C

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My friends all make fun of me for putting computer fans in weird spots.

I'm gonna mount one on top my black tank vent!! At some point I meant to get a reversible fan for the bathroom roof vent. Same idea of keeping odors from rising out the toilet.

I never add chemical. Winter time it's no big deal. Summer temps i was having problems with what I think was gray tank smells. You guys told me to check the vent under the sink. I covered it with a plastic bag last year to test.

Will have to see how it goes this summer.

I think my trailer has tank vent caps that use wind to suck odors out the tank. Doesn't seem to work.

There was a time I goofed up and forgot to dump. Had the trailer on a jobsite. Flushing produced bad smells. Wish I had thought to put a fan on top the black tank vent.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Water alone is not going to keep a tank full of sewage from smelling.
And it's just that; a tank. So when you open a hole in the top of it (like flushing) there's nothing to keep gasses from rising up out of the hole. There's no reason those gasses are going to choose to go up the vent rather than the toilet opening.
25 cents worth of chems (or less, I bought a lifetime supply at a garage sale for $2) and there is no smell.

Disagree. Water only for the past 7 years. Flush the tanks, use plenty of water each time I flush and always keep a few inches of water in the tank at a minimum. No smell.

I think I've been in line behind you at the dump station. I say your wrong. ๐Ÿ˜‰
BTW, the guys that dump and only use water stink the whole line up. Why is their water not working?
I've tried water only. I'm not going to be "that guy" at the CG again.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
ScottG wrote:
And it's just that; a tank. So when you open a hole in the top of it (like flushing) there's nothing to keep gasses from rising up out of the hole. There's no reason those gasses are going to choose to go up the vent rather than the toilet opening.
25 cents worth of chems (or less, I bought a lifetime supply at a garage sale for $2) and there is no smell.

Disagree. Water only for the past 7 years. Flush the tanks, use plenty of water each time I flush and always keep a few inches of water in the tank at a minimum. No smell.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my (new to me) used 1999 Class A in 2011, the previous owner had several boxes of older Thetford Blue packets under the bathroom sink. The boxes clearly said "contains formaldehyde" on the label. From several years of college level chemistry/biology lab experience, I know what that smells like and I'm sure they did. The smell reminds me of the commercial porta-potty smell along with the blue dye which is intended for industrial strength odor applications.

I used the PO's supply up then discontinued using odor control chemicals because the RV park where I was staying asked me not to. They said it wreaked havoc with their septic system. Since then, I've used only water and sometimes some fairly clean used dishwater with liberal amounts of dish washing soap already in it. As long as I dump/flush the tanks every 2-3 weeks, no odor problems at all.

Chum lee

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If youโ€™re getting black tank oder then there is a venting or seal issue. If you have a black tank flush system the oder may emanate from a poorly sealing back flow valve, most likely somewhere in the bathroom vanity cabinet. I use Happy Campers to appease the DW, and to perhaps help with the breakdown of TP and solids.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the Aqua-Kem powder because the wife likes the smell. They're all about the same IMO. If you have a serious odor problem, your tank is not getting adequately rinsed out when you dump.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I live in hot FL. If you leave raw sewage in the tank for a few days between dumping/flushing, it will produce a very foul odor! Unlike a septic tank, this is not an anaerobic environment. Folks up North have less issue most of the year due to the milder temperatures.

I've tried many different ones on the market. One works better than all the rest. Thetford Aqua-Kem.

*Deodorizer - Formulated to work in any weather condition, Aqua-Kem is packing the most powerful odor control available on the market.

*Waste liquefier - Clogging is no longer an issue, as Aqua-Kem breaks down solid materials, liquifying waste and toilet tissue fast and efficient.

*Detergent - The third component of the 3-in-1 formula is the detergent, which cleans the tank walls and drain lines, maintaining the tank and lines in top shape.

*SAFETY: The 100% biodegradable waste holding tank treatment is safe even for septic tanks.

*FUNCTIONALITY: Formulated as a 3-in-1 product, the formula holds a powerful deodorant, a waste liquefier, and detergent, eliminating odors, breaking down waste and cleaning the tank.

I've been using this product since the late 80s. I've dumped my tank into our septic tank on many occasions. Zero issues. No stink from the RV. Try anything else first if you wish. Just keep this one in mind if they don't work for you.

$21 for a gallon on Amazon. https://amzn.to/2Hc8foF

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of water, fill before you dump, dump often and add four or so gallons after dumping. No chemicals needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
also put a little dawn dish soap in the tank.help clean the walls and sensors.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
wopachop wrote:
I wonder how many campgrounds are on septic and have issues from different chemicals?

I think this is primarily why formaldehyde was outlawed, but natural decomposition really only requires the proper bacteria which are of course natural. Additives like fragrances etc are hard on microbes. Tank conditioners with soaps, dyes, etc, wreak havoc on natural bacterial decomposition. Water should really be the only thing a properly maintained RV septic system should need. IMHO, If it smells, you have another issue.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:

Can't find anywhere what the list of ingredients are- Not on their website, google search, nothing. (material safety data sheet) Happy Campers consists of Zinc salts and unnamed materials. Happy Camper is a highly concentrated monohydrate (which is a fancy way of saying there is one molecule of water per molecule of the rest of the ingredients). blend of minerals and micro nutrients. Curious why they don't tell you what those micro nutrients are. I'm always cautious of products labelled as "organic" and "natural" as those claims are not really regulated and are used a lot in marketing and further cautious when it's really hard to find out what's actually in it.

Could be that it is not a good idea to list "snake oil" as an ingredient when you are trying to sell a product. :B

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how many campgrounds are on septic and have issues from different chemicals?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
DFord wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Can't find anywhere what the list of ingredients are- Not on their website, google search, nothing. (material safety data sheet) Happy Campers consists of Zinc salts and unnamed materials. Happy Camper is a highly concentrated monohydrate (which is a fancy way of saying there is one molecule of water per molecule of the rest of the ingredients). blend of minerals and micro nutrients. Curious why they don't tell you what those micro nutrients are. I'm always cautious of products labelled as "organic" and "natural" as those claims are not really regulated and are used a lot in marketing and further cautious when it's really hard to find out what's actually in it.

Good point. How many other treatment chemicals publish their material data sheets? Has Coke ever published a list of their ingredients?

That's why I don't drink Coke. ๐Ÿ˜‰