cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Question

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
While using the sewer flushing connection on the outside of my camper I wondered if I could close both tank valves and then run water into both tanks briefly in order to get three or so gallons into the black tank instead of dumping it down the toilet. After shutting off the hose, the grey tank valve would then be opened as usual. I've never heard of anyone doing this, so would it cause a problem? :h
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
9 REPLIES 9

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I do it... but not for long. I guess pressure builds up, but I'm not sure.

No pressure will build up. The tank is vented. I do what you describe all the time.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
You can do it as long as you don't get distracted and forget to turn it off. Don't ask how I know this.

Forget? Turn what off? Oh! Yeah. :B

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I shut valve for about 2 minutes to allow the tank to partially fill, sometimes 2 or 3 times when I really want to clean the tank and no one is waiting to dump.
Once tank is clean and dumped I always partially refill the tank with clean water so it is ready for next trip. I never leave the black tank empty/dry except when winterized.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, no problem.
I use the flush with valves open for a little while then close the valve.
Of course you have a separate hose for flushing!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do it as long as you don't get distracted and forget to turn it off. Don't ask how I know this.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

I also do the same thing but I don't think pressure can build in the tanks since they are vented.
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, this would work just fine.....but, DO NOT forget that you are back filling and walk away before you shut the hose off.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro