cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Valve

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my trailer has an enclosed and insulated underbelly. My black tank handle which is up at the front of the trailer in the wetbay, has a cable that goes back to the black tank valve which is in the middle of the trailer.
I am guessing the valve is stuck? I cannot push or pull the handle at all. I believe the valve is partially open since it seems to drain, just not sure how much it is draining. I am able to turn the exposed rod/handle, that's why I believe it's the valve.
Has anybody here had to cut open the bottom and insulation to get to the valve? And how do you replace it if it has a cable that runs to the front of the trailer?
I'm at a loss as to what to do!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
4 REPLIES 4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The longer the cable, and the more turns it takes, requires a stout pull, even if the valve is just lightly stuck. The handle will normally turn, but does not mean the cable is free to the valve.

My FW came new, with 3 sided windows cut, in needed service areas. Each has another oversized piece of coroplast screwed over the window.

Jerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good chance the cable rusted and jammed but it may be the valve.

I did not have that type of "Remote" valve on my RV but that is a common type of cable.. Like a parking brake cable on a car) (Same thign happens) cables on a multi speed bicycle (Replaced many) and more... They can be lubed but it takes a special tool you get at a motorcycle shop.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:

Has anybody here had to cut open the bottom and insulation to get to the valve? And how do you replace it if it has a cable that runs to the front of the trailer?
I'm at a loss as to what to do!

Most likely you are going to need to get to the valve to repair it. Some folks remove the underbelly, or if they know the exact location of the valve they can cut an opening in the underbelly then tape it back when finished.

The tank and valve should be in close proximity to the valve handle. Drop one side of the underbelly below where the pull cable handle is and you can probably see where the valve is.

When you get access to the valve you MUST make sure you have dumped all it's contents before removing the 4 screws that hold the blade valve together or you will get lots of stuff in your face.

Once you get the valve apart you can observe any problem with the valve, which usually only requires cleaning and lubing. Remove the cable from the valve and see if it moves freely. If the cable is binding inside the outer sheath you probably will have to replace it, but you might get some lube in it.

Also, what do you mean by "turning" the cable handle. You only pull and push it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google cable dump valve and watch a video.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob