cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tarp-like material under the front part. What is that?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

I'm a new camper trailer owner and still learning the ropes. I recently noticed something unusual under the front part of my trailer's underbelly. There is a black tarp-like material that seems to be sagging a bit, as if it's holding some kind of liquid. However, when I tap on it, I don't hear any "water sound." I'm wondering if this could be some type of insulation?

Could anyone please help me identify what this thing is for and what's located in this part of the trailer? I purchased the trailer used, and it's my first one, so I'm still gaining experience and trying to understand everything about my new acquisition.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://postimg.cc/grhJcWV2
https://postimg.cc/WF41XwMt

Mod Edit: Added url width statement to avoid forum being skewed by the photo side.
8 REPLIES 8

neu
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
In many cases, depending on tank quality, the tank will sag when filled with water. Even though most tanks sit on a ledge for support, the straps are needed. Think of a man, with a huge, protruding belly, wearing a belt. Adding suspenders will ensure his pants stay up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Since yours is not enclosed, you can recheck it when full, and then imagine bouncing down a bad road, rail tracks, etc. Not trying to scare you, but have read on this forum, about members dropping their tanks while traveling.

Some don't fill tanks until arriving at destination, for this, and other reasons. I have a 60 gal fresh tank, and almost always fill it at home before any trip. My FW has an enclosed belly, but I did view the security of my tank, for piece of mind.

Jerry

Got you! Thanks a lot for the detailed answer ๐Ÿ™‚

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
In many cases, depending on tank quality, the tank will sag when filled with water. Even though most tanks sit on a ledge for support, the straps are needed. Think of a man, with a huge, protruding belly, wearing a belt. Adding suspenders will ensure his pants stay up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Since yours is not enclosed, you can recheck it when full, and then imagine bouncing down a bad road, rail tracks, etc. Not trying to scare you, but have read on this forum, about members dropping their tanks while traveling.

Some don't fill tanks until arriving at destination, for this, and other reasons. I have a 60 gal fresh tank, and almost always fill it at home before any trip. My FW has an enclosed belly, but I did view the security of my tank, for piece of mind.

Jerry

neu
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree, that is a water barrier, that likely covers the entire floor. It probably has a thin fiber insulation, to keep the floor warmer.

I also noticed the common thin straps holding the fresh water tank up. They appear to be rusting at the bend (also common), and don't offer much support, even when new. You should be able to fill fresh tank, before travel, and not worry about it falling out on the highway. I'd add, bolt on, a more solid support.

Jerry

Thank you, Jerry. I've carefully examined the rusting straps, but they don't appear to be what's holding the water tank in place. The tank itself is attached to the trailer's frame. I've attached some photos where you can see this. To be honest, I don't understand the purpose of these straps at all. Should I be concerned about them?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/underbelly-Material-Underbelly-Permanent-Waterproof/dp/B09HJVTLSJ/ref=sr_1_4?...

Order this. Then once you get it, poke a small hole in the underbelly in the center. IF you have any water accumulation let it drain out. Then seal the hole with a small square tab of the underbelly tape. IF you have any water, IT HAD to come from someplace. The previous owner may have had a leak and fixed it, but did not drain the water out. Doug

Thank you, Doug. I did and the water didn't come out so I feel more at ease now

neu
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/underbelly-Material-Underbelly-Permanent-Waterproof/dp/B09HJVTLSJ/ref=sr_1_4?...

Order this. Then once you get it, poke a small hole in the underbelly in the center. IF you have any water accumulation let it drain out. Then seal the hole with a small square tab of the underbelly tape. IF you have any water, IT HAD to come from someplace. The previous owner may have had a leak and fixed it, but did not drain the water out. Doug

Thank you for your response. I did as you suggested. The water did not leak. I feel more at ease now.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^I agree, that is a water barrier, that likely covers the entire floor. It probably has a thin fiber insulation, to keep the floor warmer.

I also noticed the common thin straps holding the fresh water tank up. They appear to be rusting at the bend (also common), and don't offer much support, even when new. You should be able to fill fresh tank, before travel, and not worry about it falling out on the highway. I'd add, bolt on, a more solid support.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that's some waterproofing material to protect the underside of the trailer. I'd poke a small hole in that to make sure it's not holding water, as it looks like it has in the past. And you might double check the strapping holding that tank, it looks pretty rusty.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"