cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken gear carefree power awning

babar445
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this week I started to retract my awning and about a I/4 way up it suddenly come back down. I could hear the motor running so I took the cover off and found the metal spur gear that runs the awning shaft from the motor had broke in half. Its an easy fix if I can find the gear to replace it but after looking at the manual for a part # and looking at their web site I can not find it listed. I looked on the internet for some similar situations with these awnings and it seems carefree will only sell the whole motor and gear assembly together but I'm still waiting for a response from them to know for sure but its about $300+ to go that route. I'm going to visit the local NAPA store tomorrow but was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has some ideas. I know there has to be some out there but not sure where. It would be ridiculous to have to spend more than $300 for a broken gear!
I have never been a fan of power awnings but it was standard equipment for the Jayco Eagle when I ordered it. I couldn't help but
to think how this could have turned out if that gear would have broke in transit going down the road at 60 mph! Any help or suggestions appreciated!
1 REPLY 1

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
look on amazon entire kit is 80.00