cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken valve cover E350

gwwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the valve covers cracking/splitting on Fords E350. It was a first for me! Guess the new plastic covers are not as reliable as the old metal ones. This happened on my 2014 Coachmen Freelander CB19 which is on a 2013 frame. 9500 miles. Fortunately happened just prior to arriving at Hendersons Lineup in Grants Pass Oregon. Although it was warranty work the nearby Ford dealers would not work on it without a appointment, first available opening in a week. Since I couldn't wait a week and would have had to tow the rig in, we had Hendersons do the work along with the planned RPA and suspension work. Had not planned on the extra $ but looks like Ford prefers to ignore this issue with us. When the valve cover was removed, there was a 2.5 inch split on the bottom edge that stuck out 1/8 - 1/4 inch. The mechanic that removed the cover said the two bolts on either side of the split were torqued down very tight and thinks that may have caused the break.
11 REPLIES 11

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
IMO most people have price as the primary motivation to select a vehicle.
We all complain about the price of fuel and the government demands light weight to get better economy.

We have met the enemy and they is us.

I find it odd Ford went aluminum over plastic bodies. Actually the outer shell of my F150 bed is plastic.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
It's the same group that howls against land fill contamination. Screw everyone and fill your pockets now. I'll fill your life with garbage then go sailing in the Aegean in my made in Finland Swan. You want a reason the Chinese are kicking our A$$, you got it. The medical profession is degrading to third world status as well. It's greedy salaries benefits and pie-in-the-sky promises to investors that's the prime mover behind the Junkification of America. I put my foot down at the prospect of getting skewered another hungred bucks for nine dollars worth of Chinese electronics. Junk junk junk junk junk. And lazy money shifters are hetting wealthy in the process.

If you're a USA voter, take a look at Bernie Sanders.. Of course, one President isn't going to stop those fat cats from smoking Cuban cigars, sipping French Cognac and deciding the new, slightly higher, price of fuel.
The bottom line, IMO, is separating political power from money but that's always been the issue in any oligarchy, back even to the Greeks and before.

Very inconvenient for the OP to have suffered the wrath of the bean counters. I would agree with the mechanic's assessment of the cause and seek compensation from Ford. Stranger things have happened if your letter falls on the desk of someone human.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's the same group that howls against land fill contamination. Screw everyone and fill your pockets now. I'll fill your life with garbage then go sailing in the Aegean in my made in Finland Swan. You want a reason the Chinese are kicking our A$$, you got it. The medical profession is degrading to third world status as well. It's greedy salaries benefits and pie-in-the-sky promises to investors that's the prime mover behind the Junkification of America. I put my foot down at the prospect of getting skewered another hungred bucks for nine dollars worth of Chinese electronics. Junk junk junk junk junk. And lazy money shifters are hetting wealthy in the process.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic valve covers!

This reminds me of a cartoon I saw many, many years ago about installing cardboard imitation steering wheels on Pontiac GTO's.

Maybe MEXICOWANDERER is correct. Plastic drive shafts are next?

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Company executives NEED that extra %300,000 (each) income (at your expense)
WISE BUSINESS PEOPLE.

As long as people keep buying junk, they will keep producing junk.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Company executives NEED that extra %300,000 (each) income (at your expense)

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Tossed my PLASTIC Jeep radiators in the trash several years back

gwwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep... Its a plastic world including the money.:)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived too long. That is the real problem...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't plastic wonderful in engine applications?

I had a Grand Marquis 4.6L with a plastic intake manifold. When it failed the catalytic converter was destroyed by antifreeze in the exhaust. The manifold cost me $500 plus labor and the converter was $175 plus labor. When Mercury/Ford finally got around to issuing a service bulletin and financial compensation our car was outside the window for compensation.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I freaked when I saw plastic radiators. Now this.

I can see it now...
"But that crankshaft is not -ordinary- plastic. It is hemongothermointragridcryo plastic. You cannot begin to imagine the weight savings and fuel mileage advantages."

A week's wait? What a perfect example of the durability and reliability of today's motor vehicles. How sad.