cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk trailer wire

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I want to run 10ga wire to the brakes on one of my trailers.

The only place I can find any sort of vehicle wire locally is at the auto parts stores, and white 10ga only comes in 10' rolls. That isn't even enough to get from the tongue to the front axle, so I'll have splices all over the place.

The stuff they sell in larger rolls at the big box home improvement stores (THNN?) is real stiff with thin insulation, tough to work with and probably won't hold up to the vibration from the road.

So where's a good place to get this stuff from?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
10 REPLIES 10

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I bought a 25' roll of light blue #10 wire at ACE hardware.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
westend wrote:
Marine grade wire available at Genuinedealz.com
I give five star rating right here.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Radio Shack has it in long rolls. So does Home Depot, Lowes, Most hardware stores.. You may even have your choice of Stranded (Radio Shack) or Solid (most hardware/Home Improvement places) Many may have both (not Radio Shack)

I also have a host of sites I can send you to. Let me check a favorite.

Alas they had only smaller sizes. But I did find it at Radio Shack, red or black, 20 bucks for 35 Feet. Stranded too (What you need).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
definitely go with marine grade wiring... Made for trailers and boats and will survive undertrailer road spray...

You should be able to find what you need from AMAZON in any lengths you need...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 50' roll from Amazon last summer when I rewired our ATV trailer. Good price and shipped two day
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many marine supply will have what they call duplex wire. Good for brake cable.
West Marine

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a couple OP's have your wire sourced, so I'll just add that Marine wire has the copper strands protected by Tinning, useful in that exposed are of your RV chassis.

And, let me mention something a good RV parts & repair shop (Karen's in Anchorage) told me: Don't use the axles as conduit for the wire. They rust inside and the rust abrades the insulation. Better to band the wire TO the outside of the axles. From my experience on boat trailers, Black Plastic Electrical Tape holds up longer than ZIP Ties.

Marine wire has the copper strands protected by Tinning, useful in that exposed are of your RV chassis...

My family used Karen's. I have used Mobile Trailer (also in ANC) and been very pleased with them. Both are on the North end of town, near the rail yards.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
This little Napa here in this little town sells all wire off the big rolls.
I would think all the Napas do.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Marine grade wire available at Genuinedealz.com
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazon: link
I see 25 ft rolls and 100 ft rolls
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer