cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping 3 months with single 100Ah Lithium

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Before I started ramblin' this summer, I replaced my two lead acid batteries with a single 100 Ah lithium. I also added a second solar panel to go from 125w to 225w.

I was on the road almost five months, and three of those were dry camping every night. Usually at the end of the day my battery was down to around 90%. The next day it was quickly up to 100%. On Labor Day weekend I camped in a shady spot for four days. At the end of that my battery was down to a little less than 70%. It took a couple of days to get back to 100.

I don't have any high power devices on my camper. My furnace draws the most, at 4 to 5 amps. I only ran it for about 15 minutes in the morning, when needed. All my lights are LED. My fridge was running on propane the whole time. I installed a DC-DC converter before I left home, but never used it.

FYI, my setup is a single AmpereTime 100Ah 12v LiFePo4 ($540 last Jan when bought and $400 now, on Amazon), 225w of solar panels, Victron MPPT 75/15 solar controller and battery temperature/voltage sensor, and an eBay purchased battery monitor that records amp hours. Turned out the battery doesn't have low temperature charge protection, but the Victron solar controller takes care of that.

I'm very happy with my installation and doubt now that I'll ever need other than my solar charging. Now I don't have to remember to check battery water and strain my old body to lift a battery. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
27 REPLIES 27

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the report. I looked into the AmpereTime 100Ah 12v LiFePo4 and found the price / performance very attractive.
However, reviews state that the battery does not have low battery cutoff and can be damaged by charging below 32 ยฐ and while we try to avoid climate extremes temperatures are not an obstacle.
Our present camper has a Zamp solar controller which, to my knowledge, doe not have low charge voltage cutoff.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update Ralph..Do you use the Victron default lithium mode or put your own parameters in it?

As to lifepo4 100ah batteries cost and weight,right now for $329 you get 100ah and the weight is listed at 25#..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
How much lithium battery weight?
They sure are technological future, but at present cost -not much economical.
I am not young anymore (regardless how I feel mentalny) but I can still lift the battery from my sedan and put it into camper when going on vacation.
Making it free power storage and less worry about battery sitting in my sedan for months without checking.

The 280ah battery pack I just put together is a little over 50lbs.

280 ah battery pack.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much lithium battery weight?
They sure are technological future, but at present cost -not much economical.
I am not young anymore (regardless how I feel mentalny) but I can still lift the battery from my sedan and put it into camper when going on vacation.
Making it free power storage and less worry about battery sitting in my sedan for months without checking.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments folks:

Camper Jeff: 3 hours doesn't sound like very long with only a laptop plus other small draws and dual AGMs. I don't run my furnace at night. I just pile on the extra blankets, get up in the a.m. and turn on the furnace and get back in bed until the inside is warm. Although the mandatory middle of night bathroom visit is a bit nippy. ๐Ÿ™‚

NamMedEvac 70: I never turned on my DC-DC charger powered by the truck alternator. Used solar only. Thanks for saving some of my photos. If you ever want any "full resolution" ones, just let me know.

Kayteg1 & pianotuna: I mentioned Lithium because that's what I have and is becoming very popular. One reason I switched from lead-acid is because I'm old and can't lift much anymore. )
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keytag1,

You took the words out of my mouth. A couple of repurposed telco agm's would have given similar service to the Li. Cost about $1 per amp-hour.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good report, although I think the title is misleading.
You camped 3 months on solar power, where battery was just a storage and it did not matter if that was lithium, or lead-acid.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently bought a 200 amp Lithium battery and will probably install it and a new solar controller in the next couple of weeksโ€ฆneed SIL to assist me lifting out old batteriesโ€ฆburied between trailer tongue rails. I differ in Ralphโ€™s electrical usage only due to my desire to watch local news on TV. Iโ€™m planning on only solar for recharging. If 3 100 watt panels arenโ€™t enough, Iโ€™ll add.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it worked very well for you. Congrats.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you use only solar panels to recharge the battery or is Truck also able to charge the battery? I know very little about solar panels as of now. Enjoyed and saved many of your photos over the years. Thanks

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I need better metering in my TC. Far as I can tell, I get about three hours usable battery life with the laptop on and the dinette table led on. I have basically the same amount of solar and 2 group 31 AGM 105 AH batteries. I plan to setup up about 600 watts solar and 400 AH battery. I think that's what it'll take to supply my power demand, especially at night in cold temperatures. I refuse to be cold at night, especially in the bathroom at 3 in the morning or whenever. Those walls are COLD.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the review/report.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to hear that the Ampere battery has served you well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad