cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I double up on wire?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Doing this on the megawatt made me wonder: I have a bunch of 8/4 wire, nice and flexible, in heavy housing. Could I run 2 pos and 2 neg, and use it for my battery connections? 2x 8ga = what gauge?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
21 REPLIES 21

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Howzure weak-sister battery doing resting voltage-wise?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, I don't think I will do that :).

I might use it for the outlets, instead -- two for the shore power, and two for the inverter outlet next to it. Most places, I want one of each.

8ga is overkill, but it is more flexible than romex, and has that nice fat housing.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since you have a lot of it, run two 8/4 cables and parallel all the conductors? Each cable would be roughly equivalent to a #2!! (If you have the space) Not the best design...
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, thank you, Hiking Hunter!

That is not as good as I thought.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Use this chart.

Two #8s in parallel are roughly equivalent to a #5 in resistance.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Artum :).

Sure, if I have a long bolt :B. Can I make good connections, though, is another question...

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Sure you can. Can you get all the wires under the lug at both ends though?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel