cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can Onan Microlite 2.8 handle a 13,500 BTU A/C?

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of upgrading my roof air from 11,000 to 13,500 BTU's. It's a Dometic Penguin. Can my Onan 2.8 handle it?
14 REPLIES 14

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to go with an 11,000 BTU unit.

I called Onan and they said I could run a 13,500 at near sea level, but I'm at 4,500 feet in Salt Lake City. I think I'm pushing my luck.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.

Is the standard genset a 4.0 Kw for a 13,500 A/C unit?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Winnebago Travato is shipping with a 13,500 BTU A/C with a MicroLite 2800 gasoline genset, so either the A/C has some good soft-circuitry to help lower the locked rotor amps crashing against the genset, or the genset should work without issue, although I wouldn't be running the microwave with the A/C on.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have 13,500 BTU A/C units on your RV, what size is your factory installed generator?

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
I had one on a WW toyhauler. It would but if you hit the toaster the gen would lug and slowly recover. Not good. Just watch how much you load it. If the gf was with me. I shut down the a/c while she used a blowdryer. That was too much for it. So I started leaving her home and since leave her home all the time. Haven;t heard from her in months, LOL.

LOL :B

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one on a WW toyhauler. It would but if you hit the toaster the gen would lug and slowly recover. Not good. Just watch how much you load it. If the gf was with me. I shut down the a/c while she used a blowdryer. That was too much for it. So I started leaving her home and since leave her home all the time. Haven;t heard from her in months, LOL.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Power(in watts)= current(amps)X AC volts...ie: if the 13500 draws 20 amps at initial startup and U'r average AC Volts is approx. 118... 20 X 118 = 2360 Watts
Question... Is this genny 2.8(2800)watts continous run power or its momentary 'Peak' output power?
After initial startup, U'r genny probably only draws about 13 amps running.
13 X 118 = 1534 watts.
If U get this AC unit, monitor the AC voltage at any outlet. Never let it be loaded to the point that it goes below 107 Volts AC. Too low voltage will ruin the AC compressor.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 2.8 microlite is only a 2.5 since it is Propane (LP) and it starts my Dometic duo therm brisk air 13500 with no problem (1500 ft and 110 degrees).
Im not even sure my AC has a start cap, as in the wiring diagram it says some models do not have. Going to remove the cover and check soon to see if it is there.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
My 2.8 starts and runs my 15,0000.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic makes a start kit for this- part number 3102903.006 "QUICK START KIT"

From the install sheet (at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/quickstart.pdf๐Ÿ˜ž
"The Quick Start Kit can be installed on all Duo-Therm roof mounted air conditioners and heat pumps. The Quick Start Kit will
allow the compressor to start properly when operated on the Onan 2.8 Micro-Lite Generator as the 120 volt power source."

It is a potential relay and start capacitor.
-- Chris Bryant

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I would certainly think it would !

Did that help ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I got a verdict here that a 2400is yamaha would run one.
bumpy

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
My previous RV, an '02 class B Roadtrek C190V, had a 2.8 and an 11,000 A/C. The A/C was a house-type unit mounted inside the roof. I've run both the A/C and microwave at the same time, but the A/C was running (compressor on & cooling) when the microwave was turned on for 2 minutes. This was at about 3200 feet. The Onan labored audibly but took the load. IIRC, the Onan had about 275 hours on it at the time.

A maybe-useful check would be to turn the current A/C & microwave on at the same time.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

MrWizard
what are the specs on each one, the Onan and the A/C ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s