cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon Monoxide Detector Proper Placement

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I've been rebuilding the inside of my 5er after a structural failure and am on the last mile.

I've built new cabinets, new sink, etc - and I'm down to putting the finishing touches (DW's punch list).

There's a couple of interesting items.

First my Carbon Monoxide detector - battery operated - was (originally) placed about 5' up from floor level - in the "upstairs" sleeping area.

Second, on the bottom of the detector it states "Replace after 2015) and my 5er was manufactured in 2010.

I'm going to address item number two with a new unit, but I thought Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air and should be mounted down near the floor (Like my propane detector - which is hardwired to 12v near my power distribution center).

Where is the proper location for a Carbon Monoxide to be placed in the Trailer.

Thanks in advance!

josh
16 REPLIES 16

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Co mixes readily with air. The amount its lighter makes really no difference. You can place it high or low. Just not in a corner where a wall meets a celling or floor. And yea, they expire after like 8 years. This is why dual propane/co detecters are placed low to the floor. The main thing is to have one and to make sure it works.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
CO is slightly lighter than air, put the new one back where the original one was. Five feet above the floor is where it should be.