cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3500/4000 Generator won't run AC unit?

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Need some advice. Many years back, we had a travel trailer and I purchased one of these low-cost gensets. It was a little loud but sure ran the 13,500 BTU AC unit and other little items in the camper just fine. I used it extensively after Hurricane Ike for power to the house as well. I finally just wore it out so I decided I would buy another one just like it and simply leave it in the box until I needed it. (I did pull it out and put oil in it but never started it - didn't want gas in it...). This was probably 4 years ago so it has just been sitting in my shop.

A few weeks back, we lost power at home so I thought "well, we can sleep in the 5th wheel tonight and at least have Air Conditioning". I went to the shop and gassed up/powered up the Champion generator (started very easy). The 5th wheel has a 15,000 BTU Dometic AC unit but the generator is still within the specs to handle the bigger unit. I let the generator run for 5 to 10 minutes or so and plugged in the RV and flipped the switch for 120v. (It has a 30 amp RV plug on it). When I turned the thermostat on inside the 5th Wheel, it bogged down the generator so much (almost dying due to the load), that I quickly turned off the Thermostat as I was worried about hurting the AC unit. I tried it again a few minutes later with the same result so I have not messed with it since.

I have not contacted Champion yet. There is a "800" support line to call and I likely will but I thought I would ask some of you your thoughts. While the unit is "brand new" from a running point of view, it is now certainly out of any warranty period I am sure from Champion's point of view.

The AC unit is just fine when plugged into shore power.

Thoughts on this generator and why it would do this? In hind sight, I should have tried it out when I first brought it home but I didn't want carburetor issues even though I use Stabil in all my small engines.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
John and Patti
Chevy 2500 HD / Duramax/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
http://www.painthorsefarm.com
19 REPLIES 19

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
How big is the generator?

Sorry... it was in the subject line and not in the message itself...

3500/4000
John and Patti

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that could be a very valid point....I am not sure if all the other items were turned off -I know the fridge was but not especially sure of the water heater... I know they drag a lot of power.

How do I turn the converter off from charging the batteries? I can plug it in to shore power for awhile before trying again so the batteries are charged but I am not sure how to disable the converter. Is that one of the breakers?
John and Patti

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
3,500 watts is only 3,500 watts. Water heater, converter, refrigerator, etc. can reduce the available power to 2,000 watts. Turn everything else off and try it again. Report back.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Had your 5th wheel been plugged into shore power up until the Genny test?
If your batteries were low on the 5er the converter would have been trying to recharge, possibly at a high rate depending on the converter you have. Also you may have had the refrigerator trying to start at the same time.
Try turning the converter and everything else off and starting the AC then and if that works, after it has setteled in to run the AC turn the converter back on.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
How big is the generator?