Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CHINA why the reliance regarding RV parts & accessories

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
WORLD'S SHARE CHINA IMPORTS

THIS NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT ABOUT TRADE ISSUES SO CAN IT. IT IS ABOUT THE HOW AND WHY OF RAW MATERIAL TO MAKE R.V. ACCESSORIES

26 REPLIES 26

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Where @#$%^&! it! are the hundred amp solid state relays I wanted to buy off eBay?

And the buckers that could handle 2-volts Delta-T?

And that 10-amp 0-60 volt adjustable power supply

And the 90mm star heatsinks

And the 5 watt UV LEDs

Unfortunately for a few folks, they grin and live in an unreality. You know, the one where the 22 dollar cheapowatt does not now cost 33 dollars. But that CANNOT BE! They devalued the Renminbi Yuan.

I timed the call with Lin last night. 18-minutes. Had to discuss things in double-speak. Make it sound like his statements appeared like questions about the US economy.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
I'm WAY WAY WAY more concerned about the spare parts - electronic and otherwise - for our Military that come from China ... our eventual, if not already current ... enemy!!!!!!

I kind of said that up-thread myself... (Clearly I agree with you)

Folks I can not make this point strong enough.. IF we get in a war with "The only country that still makes_______(Device the military relies on)_______ we are screwed. Period.

For reasons of National Security we need to MAKE IT IN AMERICA.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I certainly hope and rather doubt things will get as bad as MEXICOWANDERER has suggested.

However, there is a certain reality that parallels what he is saying.

Chinese (to include Taiwanese, Mexican, Malaysian, Indonesian, etc.) components have metastasized throughout the entire US production process. I rather doubt most manufacturers of more complex Made in the USA products really know beyond a shadow of a doubt where each and every sub-component they purchase is truly made, or who really makes every component of their production equipment. Sometimes all it takes is one specialized chip or screw to completely stop production.

Bottom line, if you were to shut down or limit trade between China and the US, I believe each and every one of us, to include the Department of Defense, would be shocked at the depth of the impact. The least of your worries would be that part you need to fix your RV.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The slowdown (NOT "collapse") of China's previous rapid economic growth was both expected and nowhere near as surprising as the typical stock market over reaction might lead us to think. I believe the current "day traders picnic" will settle down with the markets probably a bit lower than last week, and then gradually recover to previous levels and beyond. The world isn't ending, the sky isn't falling, and the smart money is sitting tight on their investments. The even smarter money is buying at bargain prices...

/\ This... Anyone with 20% or more cash on the side, is picking stuff up at fire side sale prices yesterday, perhaps today too.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You really think an *over supply* of manufacturing capability is going to result in lack of manufacturing?
-- Chris Bryant

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta be careful with that Chris. When supplies dry up they dry up. One of my endless daydreams has a USA trade law forcing manufacturers to state clearly

Made 100% USA materials included
Made in USA with foreign materials, percentage of value thereof.
Made outside USA.

If say muffin fans became unavailable you think G.B. Pabst would have a prayer supplying the fans? Another take: Mexico supplies all of the transmission and distribution transformers used in North America. 100%.

The sole mechanism left in the Chinese economy to thwart meltdown is their bank lending rate and lending financial requirements. If the Politburo were to slash lending rates it would fuel a frenzy that would leave the Hang Sen spiraling upward. But bankruptcies would similarly soar. There are a billion and a half Chinese demanding a paycheck. This insane must-produce atmosphere is what has fueled the planet give away of the eon pricing of goods. This is scary. This is so fragile a system it is constructed of cigar ash. There are hundreds of countries dependant on Chinese goods. A fracture would lead to economic ruin. Already Mexican economy is faltering. The transformer companies have laid off more than a thousand workers. Mittal a giant steel producer has let almost a thousand workers go out of 3800.

Want an autoformer? Keep your eye on supplies and prices.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The slowdown (NOT "collapse") of China's previous rapid economic growth was both expected and nowhere near as surprising as the typical stock market over reaction might lead us to think. I believe the current "day traders picnic" will settle down with the markets probably a bit lower than last week, and then gradually recover to previous levels and beyond. The world isn't ending, the sky isn't falling, and the smart money is sitting tight on their investments. The even smarter money is buying at bargain prices...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The issue of how a collapse of Chinese manufacturing means the virtual end of most RV accessories and repair parts. Believe it or not refrigerator, hot water heater, and HVAC controls are considered small potatoes, in China's manufacturing hierarchy. Need a converter? need a rooftop air? Can't get it? This explains the reason why. More likely this heralds THE END of the golden age of dirt cheap eBay electronics accessories. if you want it, get it now.

Non of those are exclusively made in China- the brands I carry of each of those items are built in the US, of US, Canadian and Mexican components.
Yeah- if you price shop Brands like Advent and WFCO, you will get ChiCom junk, and OEMs spec junk to pad the bottom line, but if the ChiCom junk went away, there is still the higher quality stuff out there.
-- Chris Bryant

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The issue of how a collapse of Chinese manufacturing means the virtual end of most RV accessories and repair parts. Believe it or not refrigerator, hot water heater, and HVAC controls are considered small potatoes, in China's manufacturing hierarchy. Need a converter? need a rooftop air? Can't get it? This explains the reason why. More likely this heralds THE END of the golden age of dirt cheap eBay electronics accessories. if you want it, get it now.

COLLAPSE? Huh?

The reason for the stock market falling is that China's growth has dropped from 9%+, to 5%!

They are still GROWING at 5%!

A level we have not been at in near a DECADE!

Sounds like government. They make a budget showing a 5% increase for a department the next year. It gets downsized to a 3% INCREASE, and the politicians say there has been a CUT!

China's output is not only NOT collapsing, but it is still growing at a rate TWICE what we are growing at! Don't think I would get my panties in a wad about not being able to get parts.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I thought ebay electronics sellers in china were mostly all fly by night. When I go to buy another of something I often don't see the same person selling, but it has always been that way. Is there anything other than anecdata to show that this has changed? I'm not saying it hasn't, just that it's not obvious to me. And I buy everything on ebay.

PS: If your friend is concerned about monitoring, it might be good to take his name out of your post, ne?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am preparing for a telephone call from Lin Xao Peng. Nine PM sharp. His calls are "monitored" but I'll try my best. I am UPSET to find most of my vendor list out of business. Internet and emails are monitored mucg more closely than phone calls. He always gives me time to prepare
Gottago. Goodnight!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to worry on this end - somewhat. Here's the spare RV coach parts we carry right in it everywhere we go:

- water pump
- hot water heater igniter
- water heater drain plugs
- refrigerator igniter.
- cooktop rubber isolation grommets.
- shower head
- Onan spark plug
- fresh water plumbing .... tubing and fittings
- portable charger to back up the Parallax converter
- spare sewer hose
- spare sewer FlushKing
- spare battery/alternator disconnect solenoid

I'm WAY WAY WAY more concerned about the spare parts - electronic and otherwise - for our Military that come from China ... our eventual, if not already current ... enemy!!!!!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I don't believe the current turmoil in the Chinese economy will have long term effects on most of the products we buy from China. The economy in China has been struggling for some time and the government has been actively involved in trying to minimize the damage.

What started the massive decline in the financial markets we are currently experiencing was China's announcement that it was going to devalue its currency to make Chinese products cheaper overseas. Today, China announced it will cut its interest rates to make its products even more competitive.

Short term, we may experience some temporary disruption in the supply chain of some Chinese made products, however, I doubt RV products/parts made in China are going to permanently disappear.

You have to keep in mind the Chinese economy is based on a mercantile system that enriches China by restraining imports and encouraging exports.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO, we're going to see liquidation prices on many US consumer items produced in China for the short-term. Once excess inventory is reduced and the Chinese market stabilizes (survival of the fittest), we'll see a steady, long-term increase in the price of all US consumer goods produced in China.

China will probably soon discover (inadvertently) the successful and profitable strategy of purposely reducing production to increase profit works well---just like it does for US refineries.

This strategy will work until another producer of inexpensive consumer products steps up to the plate. Years ago it used to Japan, until their labor costs skyrocketed. Now it's China and Korea. Just a matter of time before their labor costs skyrocket, too.

Want to buy cheap LED's and RV parts on eBay 5-10 years from now? Not to worry, China will probably open up plants in India to produce them--lol!