cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C wiring question

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Gulfstream BTCruiser - 30' Class C.

In the outside storage compartment under the dinette table area, there is a 110 receptacle. I ran a power strip plug (through the floor under the dinette) to power a computer, table lamp, router, etc. from inside the rv without the need to use the receptacle located above the dinette on the bottom side of the overhead compartment (too many "ugly" wires to look at).

It's worked fine for 9 years. It was working this past Monday when I took the rig to the local Ford dealer for some pre-trip service. When I got it back yesterday and plugged the rig in I noticed the table lamp was not working. I replaced the bulb, still not working. I reset the fuses, still not working. I plugged the power strip into outlet above the table and it works fine from there. Every other outlet has power and working fine. I got out my electric meter and it indicated no current to the receptacle in the outside compartment.

So I must have a bad wire or connection for this outlet. Problem is, the wire from the outlet (in the outside compartment) comes up through the floor under the dinette then about 6 inches away goes back into the floor and I have no clue where it goes from there.

Does anyone know where this wire might might start from so I can try to locate the problem or run a new wire? Does the wire start at the fuse panel or is there some other terminal box?

The service work at the dealer was rear brakes, front shocks, and repack the front wheel hubs. Nothing to do with electrical issues or anything near the outside compartment.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jpjlauer wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Look through the rig for GFCI receptacles. Odds are one of them is tripped. Could be in galley, bath or an exterior location.
Fuses do not operate receptacles. They are controlled by circuit breakers like those in a house. You could try to reset them. Turn off all circuit breakers applying light pressure toward off, turn on main breaker if equipped, then branch breakers one at a time.

enblethen - Thank you! That was the problem. As soon as I read your comment I remembered a similar problem (not sure what was not working) years ago and the GFCI in the bathroom had tripped. Resetting it solved the problem.

I ran right out there and the red light was on the GFCI. Reset it and the receptacle in question works fine. You have made my day as the trip to the Ford dealer was a financial shock and I did not want to go anywhere for more expensive service.

Sincerely appreciate the help.

Great that you found the problem. READ your post again. You stated you tested ALL the receptacles. Obviously you did NOT, because the tripped GFCI would not have had voltage;) Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is OUTSIDE there may be a GFCI somewhere that is tripped... I'd start by chcking outlets in the bath and kitchen...

From there you are going to need a cable tracker.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jpjlauer
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Look through the rig for GFCI receptacles. Odds are one of them is tripped. Could be in galley, bath or an exterior location.
Fuses do not operate receptacles. They are controlled by circuit breakers like those in a house. You could try to reset them. Turn off all circuit breakers applying light pressure toward off, turn on main breaker if equipped, then branch breakers one at a time.

enblethen - Thank you! That was the problem. As soon as I read your comment I remembered a similar problem (not sure what was not working) years ago and the GFCI in the bathroom had tripped. Resetting it solved the problem.

I ran right out there and the red light was on the GFCI. Reset it and the receptacle in question works fine. You have made my day as the trip to the Ford dealer was a financial shock and I did not want to go anywhere for more expensive service.

Sincerely appreciate the help.
Jim Lauer
2006 BTCruiser
2007 CRV tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ArizonaRoamer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is a pain, Im sorry Jim. I would think your best bet is to contact the company and see if someone can track down a plan for you so you know where it is.

Taking a swing, just going of instinct, if there isn't a circuit for it by itself in the fuse box, it is probably part the circuit above it or closest to it. Most likely tapped in somewhere. May have to play "the test and turn off game" with a light and fuse panel to track down and figure out the circuit. Id then go to the closest outlet to it and pull apart and see if you see any wires running in that direction. Id also be tempted to pull up what you can around the area of the outlet and see if you can find the wiring.
'95 Class C Coachmen Catalina 240 WB - A little worn, a little aged, but still a lot of fun and all mine.
My RV Updating Thread