cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clearview HDTV Antenna

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
I just read an article about how great the clearview hdtv antenna is and how it is better than cable or satellite. Further it could be free for seniors. Does anybody know anything this?
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
30 REPLIES 30

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
I listened to The Shadow.
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Companies like Clearview take advantage of the public's lack of understanding, regarding HD tv signals, especially older folks like my generation.

We grew up with 12" black and white screens, 3-5 channels, rotary channel dials and roof antennas.

Your forgot to include that WE were Dad's "remote control"... ๐Ÿ™‚

And there was only one TV, so everyone had to watch heehaw because Dad wanted to watch it...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
Companies like Clearview take advantage of the public's lack of understanding, regarding HD tv signals, especially older folks like my generation.

We grew up with 12" black and white screens, 3-5 channels, rotary channel dials and roof antennas.

Your forgot to include that WE were Dad's "remote control"... ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
2112 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Iโ€™m so old that I remember when color tv antennas were marketed.
LOL
I'm so old as a TV repairman I use to go house to house with a suitcase full of vacuum tubes.

Wow, you were lucky! We had to haul our tubes down to the Western Auto and test them ourselves!:)
Most of my customers were little old ladies that didn't know how. I was working my way through college and the old ladies paid well. I went to a nearby 7-11 to test them and restocked from a local RCA/SK warehouse.
Life was so simple back then.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I resemble this statement. I didn't, but would go with my dad when he took vacuum tubes down to the Western Auto and used their tube tester.

jfkmk wrote:
2112 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
LOL
I'm so old as a TV repairman I use to go house to house with a suitcase full of vacuum tubes.

Wow, you were lucky! We had to haul our tubes down to the Western Auto and test them ourselves!:)
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
LOL

Heh! A few years ago I bought a steel storage bin full of various old electronics at an auction for $20 just to get the bin. One of the items in it was one of the old RCA vacuum tube cases the repair guys hauled around, still mostly stocked with tubes. An audio collector offered me $150 on the spot for it, mostly for the 6L6's and 6V6's I think. He said the old ones sound cleaner than the new ones...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
LOL

Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
LOL
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

LMAO...iโ€™d forgotten about that.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
rk911 wrote:
pretty much accurate, Doug, except for this:

"...you probably will NOT receive OTA reception unless you have a roof top powerfull Digital type antenna..."

there is no such thing as a 'Digital type antenna'. the OTA antenna, roof, rabbit ears, etc. you were using the day before analog TV went dark is the same antenna you could use the next day to receive digital transmissions. TV antennas are designed for a specific frequency range and not modes of transmissions. the TV receiver (your TV set) decodes the transmissions and displays the picture.

I disagree. Winegard has for years a Wingman add on for better Digital reception. I purchased a RCA specific Antenna(about 24 inches long oval about 4 inches across and 1 inch deep) 10 years ago to the various digital broadcasters in my DFW, Texas area. The reception is fantastic and this antenna was marketed for Digital enhancement. MOST communities restrict (prohibit) roof top VHF/UFH dipole antenna's that everyone had 70 years ago until 2008. Those were large Di pole antenna's and very hard to install in the attic, which I did. The antenna I purchased(RCA) sits in the attic and receives both analog and Digital as well as that large Di pole I had and took down. Doug

As an engineer, I can assure you there is no such thing as a digital antenna or HDTV antenna. The channels used now are the same as channels used before, the numbers just don't translate into frequencies as they used to. What is now Channel 2 in one area may be broadcasting where Channel 63 used to be. A 50 year-old antenna will work just fine for HDTV. Any claims to the contrary are at best misleading.

absolutely agree. a good example is the CBS affiliate in Chicago (WBBM). they operated on VHF channel 2 for years but skyscraper construction made clear reception difficult for many in the area. due to channel spacing requirements and other stations in the city WBBM remained on channel 2. with the change to digital the FCC permitted stations to change their transmission frequency but keep their โ€˜channel identityโ€™ (something WBBM did not want to relinquish). WBBM now transmits their signal in the lower portion of the UHF band but is still โ€˜channel 2โ€™.

WBBMโ€™s story is not unusual. with more stations now in the UHF part of the band Winegard developed the Wingman to enhance UHF reception. the attic antenna referenced by the earlier poster receives well because the antenna is engineered to receive those frequencies regardless of mode (analog or digital ).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

I'm so old I was on shift in the control room when the first colour television broadcast was made here in Canada. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
there is no such thing as a 'Digital type antenna'.

dougrainer wrote:
I disagree. Winegard has for years a Wingman add on for better Digital reception.

Disagree all you want but you're incorrect. ๐Ÿ˜ž The Winegard Sensar III was originally developed for longer wavelength VHF reception but during the digital transition a few years ago many stations that had been broadcasting in the VHF band moved to the shorter wavelength UHF band. The Wingman is simply an add-on introduced by Winegard to improve the sensitivity of the Sensar antenna to these shorter wavelength UHF signals. What those signals are - analogue, digital, morse code, or anything else - is irrelevant to the antenna. It doesn't care in the slightest, ergo there is no such thing as a "digital antenna" - it's merely an advertising ploy to fool consumers into believing such a thing exists. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380