cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clearview HDTV Antenna

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
I just read an article about how great the clearview hdtv antenna is and how it is better than cable or satellite. Further it could be free for seniors. Does anybody know anything this?
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
30 REPLIES 30

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
no, youโ€™re confusing transmission frequency and transmission mode. the UHF portion of the batwing is relatively small and is located int the head of the antenna (the โ€˜wingsโ€™ are the VHF antenna). the wingman add-on is designed to better detect and focus UHF signals to the antenna amplifier. many OTA VHF stations (ch 2-13) relocated to UHF frequencies (ch 14-72) after the digital switch.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
rk911 wrote:
pretty much accurate, Doug, except for this:

"...you probably will NOT receive OTA reception unless you have a roof top powerfull Digital type antenna..."

there is no such thing as a 'Digital type antenna'. the OTA antenna, roof, rabbit ears, etc. you were using the day before analog TV went dark is the same antenna you could use the next day to receive digital transmissions. TV antennas are designed for a specific frequency range and not modes of transmissions. the TV receiver (your TV set) decodes the transmissions and displays the picture.

I disagree. Winegard has for years a Wingman add on for better Digital reception. I purchased a RCA specific Antenna(about 24 inches long oval about 4 inches across and 1 inch deep) 10 years ago to the various digital broadcasters in my DFW, Texas area. The reception is fantastic and this antenna was marketed for Digital enhancement. MOST communities restrict (prohibit) roof top VHF/UFH dipole antenna's that everyone had 70 years ago until 2008. Those were large Di pole antenna's and very hard to install in the attic, which I did. The antenna I purchased(RCA) sits in the attic and receives both analog and Digital as well as that large Di pole I had and took down. Doug

As an engineer, I can assure you there is no such thing as a digital antenna or HDTV antenna. The channels used now are the same as channels used before, the numbers just don't translate into frequencies as they used to. What is now Channel 2 in one area may be broadcasting where Channel 63 used to be. A 50 year-old antenna will work just fine for HDTV. Any claims to the contrary are at best misleading.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:

"...you probably will NOT receive OTA reception unless you have a roof top powerfull Digital type antenna..."

there is no such thing as a 'Digital type antenna'. the OTA antenna, roof, rabbit ears, etc. you were using the day before analog TV went dark is the same antenna you could use the next day to receive digital transmissions. TV antennas are designed for a specific frequency range and not modes of transmissions. the TV receiver (your TV set) decodes the transmissions and displays the picture.

I disagree. Winegard has for years a Wingman add on for better Digital reception. I purchased a RCA specific Antenna(about 24 inches long oval about 4 inches across and 1 inch deep) 10 years ago to the various digital broadcasters in my DFW, Texas area. The reception is fantastic and this antenna was marketed for Digital enhancement. MOST communities restrict (prohibit) roof top VHF/UFH dipole antenna's that everyone had 70 years ago until 2008. Those were large Di pole antenna's and very hard to install in the attic, which I did. The antenna I purchased(RCA) sits in the attic and receives both analog and Digital as well as that large Di pole I had and took down. Doug

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, those ads to receive all your favorite cable channels for free should be outlawed !!!!
In reality, nothing has changed since before sat and cable tv even existed, except that they are amplifying little rabbit ears, to make them perform like bigger rabbit ears. And granted, some do perform quite well, but don't get fooled, they are still rabbit ears, just believe it.
It still takes a 10 ft long + winegard or channel master antenna w/ a preamp to get digital channels 50 to 75 miles away.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Elwoodj wrote:
I just read an article about how great the clearview hdtv antenna is and how it is better than cable or satellite. Further it could be free for seniors. Does anybody know anything this?

To dissect your post:

"Just read an article" - that wasn't an article, it was an advertisement.

"Better than cable or satellite" - if you don't want to pay for tv channels, if you don't want premium channels (including sports channels), and if you are happy with no on screen guide, then it MAY be good for you to drop cable/satellite and go OTA.

"It could be free for seniors" - the channels you may get with clearview are free for EVERYONE. Antennas can be had for as little as $10 depending on your needs.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Those TV and Magazine ADS are a BIG SCAM. They make you think you can buy something ,THAT HAS NEVER BEEN OFFERED BEFORE! All they are selling is a standard TV antenna that does not look like a TV antenna on your roof or the old rabbit ears. What they claim is NOTHING NEW. Those OTA (Over The Air) signal are NOW digital instead on Analog from 1948 until 2008. Digital does NOT extend in miles as far as the old Analog signals. So, while you may have received TV stations over the air at your residence before 2008, the distance may be too great for digital which those Clearviews ALSO will not receive. THEY are limited to mileage range also. The basic rule is, IF over 50 miles from the Broadcast Towers, you probably will NOT receive OTA reception unless you have a roof top powerfull Digital type antenna. The CLEARVIEW is NOT magic. The tone of the ad is to scare people into thinking someone is conspiring to keep "FREE" TV from you. ALL HYPE. Doug

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Clearview that was given to us by a friend that had tried it out at his house. We tried it at our house - we do live on the side of the mountain facing the stations, but there are mountains between us. We pick up NOTHING! We are only 30 air miles from the stations. Then again, we can't really pick up much of anything with our bat wing here at home, either. Occasionally at night, we can find a signal.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Elwoodj wrote:

As others have said there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. just a Radio antenna (Television, be it digital or analog is really radio).

And "Free to seniors".. more like free to everyone. After the what 29.95 initial purchase.

What is it worth. closer to the 0.95.

How it works, Simple over the air radio antenna. no gain to speak of, nothing to recommend it over a good antenna. also no height less you are on like the 10th floor of a building.

What is better?
Most any OUTDOOR Tv antenna. HEIGHT IS MIGHT when it comes to VHF/UHF radio (Television is in teh VHF and UHF bands) and an antenna with GAIN (Directional) can see farther in the direction it is pointed and has other benefits as well.

For a house I'd recommend a big channel master atop a tower or mast

For an RV a Winegard Sensar IV with Sensar PRO indoor module.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 is absolutely correct. Those new smaller antennas pick up nothing but radio waves, just like those old rabbit ears do. What information is carried on those radio waves, whether analog or digital is irrelevant to the antenna.

The changes that theoldwizard1 referred to are the broadcast channel changes that have already begun as part of an FCC mandated shrinking of the TV broadcast frequency spectrum, allowing more room for other wireless services. If you are purchasing a new antenna, make very sure it's capable of receiving both the low and high VHF channels, as well as UHF, since a number of stations are moving from UHF to VHF, including the low 2-6 channels. Some OTA antennas, such as the King RV units, are not very good for VHF reception, particularly the lowest channels.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. a 50-yr old TV antenna in good physical condition with the proper cable will receive the new digital signals perfectly well. lots of snake oil out there. an indoor amplified antenna may be adequate in urban areas but the farther out you get from the transmit site the less effective that antenna may be.

Basically correct !

Outdoor "HDTV antennas" are typically smaller than their much older cousins (I won't try to explain why). My inlaws went "Over The Air" OTA a few months ago using indoor antennas even though the close broadcast station are over 20 miles away.

Window antennas work well. Even if you are inside, try to mount your antenna as high as possible, like on the top of a tall bookcase. It DOES make a difference. Walmart and Target have a reasonable selection at good prices.

EDIT

For those of you new to OTA television, there will be some changes coming later this year. Don't worry about having to learn new channel numbers, but if one day you old favorite channels start work, just go through the process of "scanning for channels" like you did when you first hooked up your antenna (not worth disillusioning the details).

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
here are the channels you could get in Decatur, Ga with a good antenna antenna web station finder a indoor antenna will not get all of these and the Clearview is junk in my opinion they will tell you any thing to sell there antenna. 50 mile range haha only if you live on a mountain side facing the transmitters.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If someone wants to give you a free antenna, get the deal in writing.

I doubt it will be better than the batwing but for free, worth a shot. Don't spend too much on installation.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Elwoodj wrote:

It's just another form of rabbit ears, a simple indoor antenna like was used for the past 60+ years. All kinds of these antennas are available. Yes, over the air TV is free for seniors and everyone else, always has been.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elwoodj wrote:

Just junk. If you want over the air TV then you want a Batwing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?