cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CO Alarm issue - battery charger?

mtnears
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Lance 850 TC, pretty much factory stock, we just purchased it has had one owner previously. As a CO / LP detector.

Had the CO detector go off when we had it in our driveway plugged into shore power. Propane was turned off at the source, power cutoff was not disabled so it was charging the battery at the time. TC was closed up (all vents and windows closed and in direct sun, but nothing was on (fridge, stove, etc). The battery compartment on this is not on a slide out tray, it is under the step to the sleeper area and has a tube vent to the outside. There is currently just one battery and it seems to be in OK shape.

I was confused as to why the alarm went off, if it was a false alarm or not. Battery charging should not put out CO directly, but it was suspicious to me since it is right next to where the sensor is.

I purchased a home CO detector with an LED display on it and placed it right next to the one that came with the unit. Had it plugged in over the weekend, same sort of scenario as described above. Both CO detectors went off. When I aired it out I could see the levels on the home detector, showed 388 which is pretty dang high.

I'm not clear if because it was all closed up and hot that the O2 levels just dropped to a point where CO was high in relation, or if there is something generating CO. Not sure how to sort this out but it sure makes me nervous if we are out camping and plugged into shore power that we are putting ourselves at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to step through figuring this out?
17 REPLIES 17

mtnears
Explorer
Explorer
Not much in the way of carpet in there and I'm not aware of any cleaning but can't be totally sure.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Was the carpet been cleaned? Clean chemicals can cause this.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to Tech

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke