cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold weather options for LifePO4 batteries

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
This thread wasn't started to debate the merits of LifePO4 vs other technologies. For various reasons I elected to go with it, very happy with performance thus far. One variable that has suddenly become more of a potential issue is cold weather charging. We purchased a plot of land up north and are camping there, and we've seen already some nights down below 0C. We are completely off grid, with solar and generator (only when needed) as power sources. For the couple of mornings where we had frost, I ran a space heater in the front compartment to get the batteries up to a temperature where I felt it was safe to charge (the solar comes on progressively through the morning, starting with a few amps and then ramping up to 80-90A by mid-morning). With the battery capacity I have (600AH, probably 500 usable), using the space heater isn't a problem, but it's not very efficient, and it's not a solution for when we're not there (we go up for long weekends right now).
I will be adding more insulation to the compartment (already have some R12 styrofoam sheeting, but will make a box for the batteries). I also ordered a small 12V PTC fan heater that will draw maybe 12A that I ordered online that I would install in the compartment to run full time (or maybe on a temperature control?).
Looking for other suggestions, I've seen recommendations for use of small 7.5 watt elbow pipe heating mats. What are you using if you are in the same situation?
Thanks in advance.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
16 REPLIES 16

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your heat duct maybe you can tap into it. Mine ended right above the batteries in the front compartment. I'll block the vent in the bedroom where this section is located so the air is forced down the pipe. There are 2 other vents in the bedroom/ bathroom so no lose in heat.

If we're running the furnace to heat the 5th wheel why not use some of it for the batteries.

Just to give you an idea. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aren't there battery blankets for cold temps? 80-90 amps of solar? Kudos.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman