cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Mach 8232 series to Atwood

jdubya
Explorer
Explorer
I have two ancient (2003) Coleman A/C units which are ready for replacement. The system is run by the Intellitec 00-00591-200 controller and a no-longer-available Climate Controller also by Intellitec.

I want to replace these with two 15K BTU Atwood 15028 with 15022 interior cover. I have seen others talking about doing this, but I am wondering what I will run into.

The front A/C has a multiwire cable that plugs to the controller encased in a nylon mesh of some sort plus a Romex 110 ac cable, a 2-wire thermostat cable and a six-wire cable that plugs to a plug that has a short run to the controller of the A/C. this unit runs the furnace (ie, switch the thermostat to heat and the relay picks on the front A/C to provide power to the furnace which then uses the thermostat to call for heat or not.
Update: I am not able to find where the wires from the Climate Control go. They look like zip cord for speakers, but none of the units use that type of wire. They plug in like a phone plug on the thermostat, but I can't find the other end anywhere.

The rear A/C does not have the multiwire cable, but it does have the Romex for 110 ac, a 2-wire thermostat cable and a 6-wire cable to the controller, but the cable feeding into that cable does not have anything in the middle pair (furnace?)

I do not see that multiwire cable, but it makes no sense without it so I will look again for that.
Update: the cable in the mesh is there on the rear unit - I just couldn't see it. It looks like a 9-wire plug with about 6 wires in it. Hard to see.

From the Atwood, I don't see any of the need for Intellitec except that I would like to take advantage of the current sensing and shedding features of it. I would also use it for furnace operation. I am assuming that the new Atwood thermostats won't control the furnace on and off for temperature - just on and off for power available. If they will operate as a thermostat for the furnace, that would be good.

To take advantage of the current features, the output of the Intellitec would have to be the Atwood's ac supply which I think is already in the Romex cables. After that, everything should run from the Atwood units and thermostats.

The only problem I have noted so far is that the cable for the thermostat on the Atwood is a 4-wire communications cable. I am hoping to be able to pull a phone wire or a LAN cable from each of the units using the existing 2-wire cables from the Coleman to get the new setup in place. That could be a bearcat - depends on how the wires were installed - hopefully down the duct.

The MH is a 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R with 6500 Onan genset. I could make the switch to direct wire, but I like having the automatic sensing of current plus the transfer switch is part of the Intellitec system although a separate box.

Anyone care to give me a 'this will get you' or 'you need this' to help me out with this? I have a method of hoisting the units onto and off from the rig all figured out. (Remote controlled winch mounted to the roof purlins and the coach parked directly below where I want it to go.)

Has anyone done this - what problems, what extras, any idea about trouble between Intellitec and Atwood? Etc.

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

jdubya
Explorer
Explorer
@dougranier: about $400 each difference. Plus I can see no advantage to Coleman. Do you have some inside information or something? This Atwood is a trimmed down version of the Cormorant from Australia - supposed to be a pretty good unit. They are made by Dometic for Atwood, right?

The only option that I see is Coleman, but $1200 each plus shipping is steep while the Atwood is $700 plus shipping - that is almost $1000 difference. That is why I am seeking the information - why do I want to stay with Coleman?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
WHY would you go with a Orphan AC (Atwood)? The major players on RV AC units are RVP (Coleman) and Dometic. Replace your AC units with the updated RVP (Coleman). What is your problem using Coleman units? The upper units ALL (Coleman) have the same 120 plug harness. You still use your existing Intellitec control system. Doug