cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converted Fluorescent Fixtures to LEDs

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Adventurer last winter and the first thing my DW wanted done was to changed the fluorescent ceiling fixtures to anything else. The barely noticeable flicker gives her and the youngest DD severe headaches at times.

I decided in as much as the Thin Line fixtures are inset in the ceiling, I would try and convert them to LEDs and not spend a fortune doing it. I have been tinkering around with LEDs in various forms, tubes, bulbs and strips of all sorts for about five years. I have seen articles and UTube videos on conversions and not wanting to mess up a $80 plus fixture I built test lights on panels of doorskin material.

I was perusing eBay and saw some 20" ridged aluminum strips, 10 for about $12. I bought some with 5050 LEDs in the 2700 to 3100 Lumin range. Through tinkering with lighting this is the color the DW and I like best. So after deciding that I either had to jump in or put out the big bucks for the tubes, I converted the 12" over the sink. The DW loved it for a lot of reasons, more light, more even light and not as harsh as the tubes. The DW explained, "Now you'll have light enough to do a better job on the dishes". Oh, oh, did I goof?

Like many first attempts, it was a learning experience. The livingroom/dinette slide when out makes the space cavernous so, I put 7, 16 inch strips with 30, 5050 LEDs each in as a test. The DW's reaction was, "Honey I love the color but it's a little bright". Well, not wanting to waste all that time and all those LEDs I decided to move the fixture back by the dinette and put a switch in there to switch from 7 strips to 5 strips and back of course.

So now that I have done all four fluorescent fixtures, I figured out the fastest easiest way to convert them and here are a few pictures to show the steps;

The LED side of the strips, they are scored for breaking into individual strips

Backside of strips

The fixture

Lens off

Tubes and wire shield removed

Using 1/8" drill bit to remove pop rivet heads

The wiring comes out in one piece after removing the six rivet heads

Fixture with wiring removed

The pan was removed from the bezel for ease of layout and wiring, the strips have been cut to size and laid out in a series circuit

This blank cover is being removed to install switch for 2 or 5 strip illumination

Layout for gluing. I didn't feel that the entire strip needed glue

With the strips laying on the bench, I soldered all the spots where cuts would be made for ease in connecting wires once the strips were glued in place

Final layout with extra wires for connecting to house wiring but no switch wiring

Gluing down the strips, I laid out areas in reverse of strips also

Testing each step of the wiring after soldering

Testing but without switch in place

Final wiring on switch end

Final test for two strip operation

Final test for five strip test

One question keeps popping up from other folks in regards to changing from fluorescent lighting to LED lighting; "Wouldn't it be much easier and provide you with the same light, if you just bought the no fuss replacement LED tubes"? The answer is yes to faster and easier, but by buying strips and using materials on hand, I got the color of light I wanted and the intensity of light I wanted. As an added benefit, I now have variable lighting and a much happier wife. Besides, I had a great time.

The cost for conversion is; about $300.00 for Camco and Star Lights and for buying the strips(20) was <$30.00, $4.00 for the three switches and maybe $5.00 for stuff I had on hand for a total of $<35.00.

Of course the HWHL factor and all the fun I had planning and laying out and building the lights is priceless.

As an aside, I thought boy I could buy a RGB strip and thanks to Winnie's providing the channel from fixture to fixture, I could turn the living area into a party bus, imagine being able to have dozens of lighting mode, flashing, chasing, blinking, strobe and 16 million colors, WOW what a trip.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
7 REPLIES 7

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The barely noticeable flicker gives her and the youngest DD severe headaches at times."

Your DW and DD aren't alone regarding flouressent headaches. I'm a charter member of that club.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
Nice work well done
I bought the 5050 led roll lighting
And used fewer strips per fixture
We have very happy with them
I did the switch because I was tired of replacing tubes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Besides, I had a great time.

Non-DIYers just don't understand that ! Even when it might cost a bit more, take a lot more time, that satisfaction you get for a completed job is amazing.

Segue - I needed an adjustable bracket for a boat ladder. I went through 5 designs and 2 prototypes, but I learned a lot about 3D CAD and had a good time.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
David - was your original fluorescent lighting 120VAC or 12VDC...

If they were 120VAC I guess that would be a PLUS in my way of thinking converting over to 12VDC... Then you can have the light working when just running off the batteries (No shore Power)...

Now you probably solved the flickering problem for the wife and kids but the lights probably now produce high RFI signal that blank out your HDTV signals when you turn it on haha...

That was my first encountered problems when I converted things over to LED lights back in 2009... This was especially bad when using the OTA antennas as the stronger signals coming from the campground cable tv hookups wasn't quite so bad...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job. I did almost the exact thing two years ago except I only used four strips. We very seldom flip the switch to change over to two strips but it is there if we just want mood lighting. I had read about the cheaper LED's ( I went as cheap as I could) burning out. I added a dropping resistor to the input of each light to make sure input voltage should never exceed 12 volts. so far after a little over two years of use I have yet to loose one LED. Previously I was changing out one or two florescent tubes every trip. This is a fun winter project for anyone who can use a soldering iron.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ivylog, I parse the photos and cut half of them out.

I guess I've been lucky and had no problems with either these rigid or the flexible strips. I did have problems early on with some of the panels overheating inside the old PD ceiling lights.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well done post with lots of photos. Hope you have better luck with the strips than what I've had...less than 1000 hours before sections go bad. I've had better luck with the panels and I've found the 5050 chips run the coolest and like you in the warm white...2700 temp.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...