cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convertors and HEAT

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd share something. I always noticed that my convertor fan was running a lot when plugged in to shore power and the large storage compartment which it sits in was warm as well. Also, my battery charging voltage numbers never seemed to be what I have read they should be. For some time I thought my convertor was garbage or the wiring to and from the convertor were too small which was contributing to my inadequate battery charging issues. So I did some research and saw that its not uncommon for convertor fans to be running. But then in saying that, while recently packing up to go out for a week I had the storage compartment which houses the convertor open for days on end. Strangely even in the hot triple digit weather I noticed that the convertor fan hardly ran and my battery voltage numbers seemed strangely higher than normal. Well that got me thinking and I decided to try something. So I got an exterior vent (just like the one on my battery compartment) and drilled a 3" hole in the trailer wall and installed that vent opening directly next to the convertor. I cleaned things up and vacuumed around the area and the convertor sides and now the convertor runs as it did when the compartment door was open allowing free flowing air to pass by the unit. Obviously it seems to me that there was some overheating issues going on here and the unit didnt like running hot because my charging voltage numbers are way better and way more consistent than they have ever been. I'm curious to see how this plays out over time, but I thought I'd let anyone know who cares.
9 REPLIES 9

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear it. After hearing all the ideas others have come up with, I think I'll delve into this a little more and incorporate some more air flow venting and maybe ducting to and from the convertor.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I checked it this morning with the door open and 60 degrees it was 13.33 volts. So that is went from 13.18 to 13.33 on a fully charged battery. I would expect it to be greater on a battery that was at 50% SOC. Sounds like you are on to something.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will. Right now it is at 13.18 volts with the door closed and at float and 85 degrees. I just opened the door and will check it tomorrow morning. Of course a better test would be when the battery is at 50% SOC.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Let me know if you notice anything.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
KATOOM wrote:
And I thought I was on to something original.....
I never thought of this. I have been sitting in 80-90 degree weather. I will try opening my compartment door to see if there is any difference in charging voltage. It is worth 5 mins of my time to see if there is any improvement.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
And I thought I was on to something original.....

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I added ducting and return air grills to my converter. It drew air and discharged inside the compartment. Now it draws and discharges inside the trailer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did something similar - I got one of those attic thermostats that are used to turn on a fan when the attic temperature gets to a preset temperature.

I set it to 80 degrees for my compartment where the converter chassis is at.

When the internal temperature get above 80 degrees it turns on a 6-inch 12VDC axial fan and exhausts the hot air out a vent in the outside trailer wall.

I used a 12VDC FAN so that all of this will work the same if I am at a shore power site or running on batteries off the power grid.

I used one of these TRAILER WALL VENTs that you find on most RV's where venting to the outside is required.
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mena661
Explorer
Explorer