cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coolant chg on 2009 D/A

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Owner's manual on my 2009 D/A states that coolant should be changed 5 years or 100,000 miles, (whichever comes first). I only have little over 80,000 miles, (even though I bought it new in Nov 2009).

I normally do as much maint as I can on my vehicles. The dealers all want to "flush"the system, (however they say that this does not get the bulk of the coolant out of the system).

There is no drain plug on bottom of radiator, (as it use to be). Looking for any tips on doing what looks to be a messy job. The fender well needs dropping on the pass side just to access the bott radiator hose. I have also heard that this engine has drain plugs on each side of the block. Supposedly, one is located behind starter.

Anyone on forum changed their coolant, if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
6 REPLIES 6

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I don't know if it is still available but in the past I have used a tee that goes in a heater hose. You hook a garden hose to the tee, leave the radiator cap off, run the engine and run water thru it until it runs clear.

Remove lower radiator hose or petcock to drain system and then add your coolant.

as stated in the OP by the OP, there is no drain petcock on the radiator.

In fact, I don't think there's even a radiator cap on an 09 D/A
Bob

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it is still available but in the past I have used a tee that goes in a heater hose. You hook a garden hose to the tee, leave the radiator cap off, run the engine and run water thru it until it runs clear.

Remove lower radiator hose or petcock to drain system and then add your coolant.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
I go 3 yrs max on coolant change, the price of water pumps and related components are way to expensive/ difficult to replace for the cost of a couple gallons of coolant and distilled water every 3 years. JMHO. Do some research on lower radiator hose. might be a slip on with snap ring/ O-ring design. Pain in the rump.Also check for bleed hole while filling, my 2004 has one.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I always pull the bottom radiator hose to drain, replace it, refill with water, run until it is warm, and repeat the drain. Old coolant can get pretty corrosive so it's really a good idea to do that flush. What little concentration of old coolant that's left is negligible. I never worry about the block drain plugs. Being a 2009, I think I would replace the hoses and belts, too. Since it sounds like you are a handy person, all you are looking at is the price of the parts. Cheap peace of mind. As for the mess, I have one of those large round pans that I catch the mess in and I've found that the 'quick lube' places will generally take old anti-freeze although I sometimes have to go to a couple before I find one who will let me dump in their used A/F tank.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Had my truck done, all hoses, cap and coolant. It was time @ 140,000 miles. 2004 ford psd 6.0.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to change mine, I'd loosen the bottom radiator hose, drain the radiator, and fill the radiator and expansion chamber with new coolant. I'd be guessing that the above procedure would drain 3/4 of the coolant out of the system. If I wasn't having any engine temperature problems, that's all I would do.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton