cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cutler-Hammer BD1520

tdhclh
Explorer
Explorer
Believe my Cutler-Hammer BD1520 duplex breaker is bad. Would that cause my battery to drain?
4 REPLIES 4

TexasRangerRzR
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I suppose if the converter (battery charger) is on that breaker, and it's tripping or not setting correctly, your battery would drain without being charged by the converter.

Hard to say without more details!

This is what I was thinking as a possibility too.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose if the converter (battery charger) is on that breaker, and it's tripping or not setting correctly, your battery would drain without being charged by the converter.

Hard to say without more details!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears the EATON/CUTLER HAMMER BD1520 model Breaker is for your 120VAC Power Distribution Panel setup.

google image

This 120VAC 15A/20A single pole combo Breaker would not cause any of your batteries to drain. Breakers very seldom go bad and constant tripping is most often related to an overloaded 120VAC circuit. If the 15A side of this breaker is controlling your on-board Converter/charger unit and is constantly tripping then most likely the Power Converter is causing this because your battery is very low discharged rate and perhaps now has a shorted cell - need to check the battery fluids...

The Batteries are part of your 12VDC Power Distribution Panel setup and if left connected over nite things like the CO Detectors, many monitor and control modules, left on DC lights, running the furnace 12V blower all night, fridge left on DC, water pump running all the time, etc...

The biggest drain I ran into camping was using the 12VDC Automotive Incandescent lights and running my furnace 12VDC Blower motor. Just changing out the Automotive ceiling lights to LED fixtures will give you a 80% power savings over using the automotive type bulbs for the same amount of light... Thats a bunch of saved power coming from the batteries...

I also added another battery to use when camping off grid. One battery per night is the usually rule of thumb

we camp a lot off grid and run totally off the batteries using 255Ahs worth of batteries. This allows us to run all the things we want to run in a one/day night run and then have to recharge our batteries the next morning connecting our shore power cable to our 2KW generator and using the on-board smart mode converter/charger to recharge our 50% depleted batteries back up to their 90% charge state. This takes a minimum of three hours run time on our generator... Finding places to run your generator for long periods of time at public places is getting to be problem here on the East side of the US. Some what different out West where alot of DISPERSED camping is allowed.

You might list your particular problem with running down your battery and maybe some folks on here can help some...

We learned early on we had to plan out camping off-the-grid alot - just could not show up OFF-GRID and expect to make it through even the first night... Most often things got dark for us around 10PM at night haha... Now we get to run all the the things we want to have on and our batteries only drop back to their 50% charge state at 8Am each morning - waiting to be be recharged again so we can do this all over again for the next day/night run... Been doing this since early 2009...

we check our battery status everyday...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS