cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Daisy chain cable size?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I will be boondocking for a week. I have several deep cell batteries that I plan to daisy chain them. I know how to do it, but I do not know with what to do it with - specifically the gauge of wire. I can get either 4 gauge or 1 gauge. Can I go with the 4, or is the 1 needed?
Only thing I'll be running is the furnace and lights.
20 REPLIES 20

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
When the OP said "daisy chaining batteries", I ASSUMED they were in the same location and were referring to a couple of feet of wire.

I am the OP. The batteries would all be almost touching. Your assumption is correct.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wolfe10 wrote:
When the OP said "daisy chaining batteries", I ASSUMED they were in the same location and were referring to a couple of feet of wire.

If true, it's even less critical. A big part of voltage drop has to do with the length of the cabling.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wolfe10 wrote:

Can't believe there is enough difference in cost that you would go with smaller gauge wire.

Did a quick check:
- $1.70/ft vs $4.00/ft.

Assuming 15ft X 2, it's an extra $70.

Assuming 5amps, it's a 0.05v drop.

With 1 gauge, it's a 0.025v drop.

Really not worth the cost.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 2 inside batteries would be the same and the 2 outside ones the same if the 2 inside batteries are connected in a balanced manor.

However I apply the term balanced to mean all batteries having the same amp draw or charge.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
TRaveler - Not trying to beat a dead horse. With that rationale, would the end battery in the sketch be more 'unbalanced' than the other end?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wiring calculator: 4ga wire, 12.7V, 15A and 10' one way results in 12.6V at the load. Small voltage drop. Smaller wire could certainly be used.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsedoc wrote:
Why was I under the impression that with the 4 batteries sketched the wire going to the device being powered should be fd from between the two sets of 2? Same with the grounding wire.
IF your referring to the smartgauge link and I understand what you are asking then the 2 inside batteries would supply/draw more amps than the 2 outside batteries, hence not balanced.

Bob

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why was I under the impression that with the 4 batteries sketched the wire going to the device being powered should be fed from between the two sets of 2? Same with the grounding wire.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
If in doubt, larger gauge is better.

Can't believe there is enough difference in cost that you would go with smaller gauge wire.

About double.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
small detail: do not daisy chain a bunch of batteries. Doing so will cause them to carry uneven loads, ware out unevenly and make headaches down the line. If you have a "bunch" of them, connect them all to a single common connection point using carefully measured cables of matched lengths. To be sure, this will have the closest batteries with excessively long cables (or so it will appear), but the resistance will match, they will carry the load equally, and work much better in the long run.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If in doubt, larger gauge is better.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Use a voltage drop calculator rather than speculation. Easy google solution.
Youโ€™ll likely find that you only really need 6 or 8 ga depending on actual lengths if you can keep it relatively short.
If building a permanent system Iโ€™d likely upsize a bit more but frankly, you could just as easily round up a few sets of jumper cables even cheapo ones and achieve the same or better results for free.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
While bigger is better in principal unless you are pulling huge amperage, the improvement is likely to be negligible.

If it's just lights, water pump and maybe a furnace fan, the smaller cables are just fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'