cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dimmer switches

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
Can you replace a dimmer switch with a standard on/off switch? We never use the dimmer and LED's that are dimmable cost more than non-dimmable bulbs.
Thanks
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't buy dimmable lamps.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

Well any switch rated for 120 volts will handle 12 volts just fine.
(the reverse is not recommended or necessary true_)

While this is generally true in terms of voltage, it's not true that switch ratings are comparable for AC current and DC current. DC switching is more demanding, and switches (if they are rated for both) nearly always have lower ratings for DC operation than for AC operation. In practice, it's usually not a problem to use a standard AC rated switch on a DC circuit for non-critical applications. It's possible the switch might not have as long a life, but it usually works reasonably well.

The typical failure mode would be for the contacts to get welded together internally and the switch fail to turn off. For a light switch, that's not a particular safety concern, just a minor inconvenience; but for any applications where it's important that the switch always work reliably, it would behoove one to use a switch actually rated for the voltage and current and AC vs DC power used. (I'm thinking especially of things like power tools, etc. where it may be necessary to shut off things reliably in an emergency to avoid damage to property or harm to people.)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rving4us wrote:
Can you replace a dimmer switch with a standard on/off switch? We never use the dimmer and LED's that are dimmable cost more than non-dimmable bulbs.
Thanks

The short answer is YES
the longer answer is finding a switch that fits. As someone said if they are using standard size switches like on the wall in your house.

Well any switch rated for 120 volts will handle 12 volts just fine.
(the reverse is not recommended or necessary true_)

Just make sure the switch can pass the current. and well. With LED's 10 amps is like 1,000 or more of incandescent light so you won't have a problem .

Switch ratings, both voltage and amps are "XX OR LESS".

But you can indeed use standard ON/OFF swirtches to replace the dimmers provided 1: They fit, or 2: you can make them fit.

(Enlarge hole and put in box. add face plate with new smaller hole)_
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
there are plenty of rv light switches available to replace them with rv light switches

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A simple switch will replace it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In theory, all DC switches should have arc fault protection.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, absolutely for 120V AC and nearly as certainly for DC lights. I'd do a bit of study to see how a DC dimmer is set up first, though; it's quite possible that the brains of the dimmer are separate from the switch and, depending on how things are set up, it may take something other than a plain switch to bypass the dimming function.

I wouldn't think that most DC LED bulbs would have trouble with a dimmer, whether or not they're officially rated to be dimmable. This is definitely true for the less expensive ones that use a plain ballast resistor or linear regulator. Ones that have some sort of a fancy constant-current switching regulator might behave less predictably with a dimmer that is also basically a pulse switching gizmo.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
. duplicate info removed
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Yes provided they are the standard switches that are available from any hardware store. Some of the RV devices seem to be made especially for RV's that screw into the wall instead of mounting in electrical boxes.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)