cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dining table conversion to bed

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
While on a trip I converted my dining table to abed for the first time and found the front of the table needed support. I found that the company that made the legs for my dining table mad a 1 foot one. I ordered one assuming it would fit, it did not it needed to be 14" and the company did not make one. So I cut a 14" piece of 2" PVC heated and softened one end at a time(with a heat gun) rolling the end in my had with a leather glove on to protect from the heat to get it narrow enough and stuck the end into the mounting hole to form it. seems to have worked pretty good.

The heat gun
Heat Gun
9 REPLIES 9

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm impressed!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
Made a clip to mount it under the table, it is made from 2" PVC pipe as well, heated softened and formed around my table leg

robrv3
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Excellent!! I had no idea that one could "swage" PVC with a heat gun. After reading your post, I found this video -- skip to 4:30 to see the technique:

Heat gun to swage PVC

When it'soft like that I work it with a love to narrow enough to push it into the hole it then conforms to the shape of the hole. Work quite nicely. Softening PVC is also a good technique to form odd bends

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent!! I had no idea that one could "swage" PVC with a heat gun. After reading your post, I found this video -- skip to 4:30 to see the technique:

Heat gun to swage PVC
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Good thinking. Thanks for the idea.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never seen anyone do that - brilliant!

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thats a great idea, I have a small table in the front of MH and want a smaller post. That will work thanks
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

a0ra
Explorer
Explorer
Great McGyvering!!!