Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish program recording

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Folks:

We are camping and have power to run our PathwayX2 and VIP211z.

I'm sure this has been already beat to death, however, I Googled info to see how I could record some DISH Network programs. I'm aware that the 211z doesn't record, however, what is the most affordable/simple way to record from the 211z?

There are a few programs DW and I are missing. Maybe I should have invested in the 722. hmmmmmm....

Any suggestions trulyl appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone for the great suggestions. It's off to Walmart for the external drive.

dt

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dtappy3353 wrote:
Folks:

We are camping and have power to run our PathwayX2 and VIP211z.

I'm sure this has been already beat to death, however, I Googled info to see how I could record some DISH Network programs. I'm aware that the 211z doesn't record, however, what is the most affordable/simple way to record from the 211z?

There are a few programs DW and I are missing. Maybe I should have invested in the 722. hmmmmmm....

Any suggestions trulyl appreciated.

You will not be able to use a 722 or similar DVR from Dish if you plan to use the Pathway as your antenna. You just stick with the 211 series (or a Wally) add a hard drive, have DISH activate the DVR option and you will have a full function DVR except that you can only watch/record 1 channel at a time. If you need 2 different channels on 2 different TV's you can always add a 2nd 211/Wally with a hard drive as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
scan thru the channel guide for an upcoming program, press the select button, and get a prompt asking if you want to record.
Op has a 211z that he says doesn't record. But you can still schedule a recording??

When the hard drive is connected, fee is paid, and Dish activates the hard drive, the software is updated to enable the DVR functions.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very good.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
scan thru the channel guide for an upcoming program, press the select button, and get a prompt asking if you want to record.
Op has a 211z that he says doesn't record. But you can still schedule a recording??

I believe he means it does NOT have a DVR function built in. The 211Z as noted, is hard drive adaptable to record programming.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
How do you schedule recordings?

Been a while since I did it (DW normally does). But if I remember correctly you can just scan thru the channel guide for an upcoming program, press the select button, and get a prompt asking if you want to record. And will ask if one time, all new episodes, or all episodes ( guess that means repeats also).

Be aware that if you are using an auto antenna like a Tailgater and watching a program on one satellite, you can only simultaneously record other programs on the same satellite.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you schedule recordings?

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
1TB USB hard drive from anywhere that's cheap, I used Walmart. Plug it in to the 211 and call dish to let them have, I think its $25.00 to activate the capability. Keep in mind that the 211 and Wally's recordings are not compatible with a Hopper. Didn't know that until I tried it, it didn't work and was told that by tech support.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the optional USB OTA adapter and the external HD for your 211z, you can record a sat or OTA channel while watching the service your not recording. You can also watch pre-recorded programs while recording another program. Or you can record a sat and an OTA program while watching a pre-recorded program.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
You can add a 1T external hard drive to the 211z and pay Dish a one time activation fee and record up to something like 100 hours of programming.

If yoiu have the right programing package your don't even pay a fee.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1TB external drive and have almost 500 hours of recorded programming. It also depends if you record HD as opposed to non-HD. As others noted, cheaper not buying from Dish.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Here it is from Dish. But you should be able to buy locally.

211z external hard drive info

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
I took a look at ebay which indicates I can but refurbished 722k's for around $55-$100 and don't have to mess around with not watching tv when recording a channel....or am I mistaken?