cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do slam latches tend to leak?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed the other day that it looks suspiciously like there might be a leak in our pass-through compartment on the floor where it meets the outside wall/door. On both sides too. The luan plywood looks like it might have gotten wet, swelled and delaminated over the winter. Then I was reading today on another forum about someone with a leaking slam latch.

Is it possible that these latches can or do leak? If they do, not sure what can be done to fix it.
12 REPLIES 12

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch, and thanks, that's good to know.
Something else to watch out for.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
I just meant, any time a hole is cut into something and something is put in the hole (like a latch in this case), there is a chance there can be a leak. I don't have slam latches, but I would think there should be butyl tape/putty between the latch hardware and the door. Whenever I put a hole in the side of the camper, no matter what it is for, I use butyl tape under whatever is being screwed onto the side of the camper.

-Michael

Removed the latches on both sides today. The metal parts inside are quite corroded as seen in the photo (in the 2 years we've owned the TT from new). The open-cell insulation is stained and wet to the touch. The latches are definitely leaking.

The outside piece has a thin closed cell gasket to seal against the door surface. The 4 attachment screws holding the inner and outer plastic pieces together were reasonably tight but I did cinch them up a bit more. I took the outer piece inside and filled the cup-shaped finger space with water and I didn't find any water getting through to the interior side so it must be the gasket that is leaking. Butyl tape may be the thing to use or perhaps some Proflex caulk? Maybe I should call Challenger Door, the manufacturer to see what they have to say.

Water intrusion into an RV is not a good thing and I need to fix this.

Seeing what these things are like inside, they're really not very secure. One smack with a hammer and you'd be in.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I just meant, any time a hole is cut into something and something is put in the hole (like a latch in this case), there is a chance there can be a leak. I don't have slam latches, but I would think there should be butyl tape/putty between the latch hardware and the door. Whenever I put a hole in the side of the camper, no matter what it is for, I use butyl tape under whatever is being screwed onto the side of the camper.

On our Hybrid Travel Trailer, the bottom of the storage compartment doors' trim was not caulked. Every storage compartment was basically unused floor space where they put a door to access it from outside. I figured since the factory left it that way, it must be the proper way to seal them. After 4 years of ownership, I learned that was not the proper way to seal them because the floor from the front of the trailer back about 9 - 10 feet was rotted and had to be replaced. The only sign of water intrusion was at the bottom of the compartment door, where the trim did not have caulk.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
So you think the slamlatch itself is leaking?
Not the actual door and its seal?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Is it possible that these latches can or do leak? If they do, not sure what can be done to fix it.

Anything can leak if not installed properly. Remove the latch; if the wood is rotted around the opening for the latch, you know that's the problem.

-Michael

I think it is the piece in the door that might be at fault, not the striker plate if that's what you meant. The pull/handle part in the latches have a horizontal pin for the handle to pivot on and there does not appear to be anything to prevent water from getting through. The roof gutter has a downspout that dumps water dead center over the doors so if it is windy at the same time, I think water may be getting blown hard against/into the latch. We are on acreage with no trees and over the winter we get some very strong winds that will blow water from the downspouts against the compartment doors. We didn't put our cover on this past winter and may be why I didn't notice anything this time last year.

I'll take it apart to see how it works and if there's something wrong or if an improvement can be made. It might be that the downspout is just in the worst possible location and there's nothing that can be done? The downspouts are the extended type so can't get water dumping any farther away from the doors. I may try putting a paper towel on the floor of the pass-through and spray a hose against the latch to see if water gets through.

Our slam latch looks like in this photo. KZ started using them in our model year, 2014. There's a number of different slam latch manufacturers. Don't know if others are any better or what brand we have.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

Anything can leak if not installed properly. Remove the latch; if the wood is rotted around the opening for the latch, you know that's the problem.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I give up.. What's a Slam Latch?

google "rv slam latch" to get some pictures.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are good after several years and many miles.
But, like others say, the weather stripping has to be good and tight.
Mine is pulling up in one spot and needs to be re-glued back into place.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Johndanielscpa wrote:
Mine leaked but it was still under warranty. My dealer just replaced the weather stripping inside the panel and hasn't had a problem since.
I believe my new TT with slam latches will require the same service. With one hatch door closed and looking through from the opposite side, I can see daylight coming in through the closed side.

What I don't particularly care for is the bottom part of the latch sticks above the hatch opening. Not a major issue, just annoying when sliding plastic tubs in and out.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I give up.. What's a Slam Latch?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
Mine leaked but it was still under warranty. My dealer just replaced the weather stripping inside the panel and hasn't had a problem since.