cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domestic powered awning - raise outer edge

Snotrod
Explorer
Explorer
When fully extended the outer edge of my awning seems low. I can lower it more by making arm adjustments, but I want to go up.

Iโ€™m looking at the bracket pivot points and thinking of modifying them in some sort.

Has anyone experienced this and come up with a fix?
8 REPLIES 8

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest solution is to not fully extend. I have a dark colored awning and found that if you stop extension when the roller is slightly higher than at the sidewall it is actually cooler underneath than at full extension. This allows the hot air to escape rather than being trapped at the apex.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With my Dometic 9100, on my FW, with awning fully extended, I can put my 8' step ladder under the hanging flap, and still clear by a couple of inches.

It takes a fair pressure to pull down lower, and lock knobs, but will lower a lot.

When first starting to extend, it actually goes up, past level, before extending further, lowering at full extension to about a foot lower than at sidewall.

Jerry

Snotrod
Explorer
Explorer
When fully extended, it is angled down quite a bit.
RV is new to me. 2013 Four Winds 31F

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure if this is your model. Look at page 5.
Dometic power awning manual
Model number is commonly on one of the arms

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

We don't know age or history of your RV, but too low is not normal, if installed correctly. Has it always been like this? Is this a recently purchased used RV?

Since we have little info, no picture, I'll guess the gas struts may be failing?

Jerry

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure of your make and model, but some awnings have adjustable limit switches to change where it stops.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Angled slightly down could be a good thing if it's raining.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the awning level when extended or is it angled down?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow