cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge not cooling

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dometic Fridge stopped working yesterday, either on gas or electric. It is at least 10 yrs old.

Should I repair it or get a new one ?
Should I replace it with a residential unit that only runs on AC ?

I checked the recall list and I don't see the model or serial numbers on the recall list.
NDR1292
350 00046

I dont have much room for a residential as my furnace and water pump are under my fridge.

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
JCat wrote:
Looks like the cooling unit is bad, so I will be ordering a Dometic RM1350MIMSS.

Wow what sticker shock $3000 to $3600 for a fridge not including install !

Thought space was an issue?

RM1350 is 4 1/4" taller and 2 1/16" deeper

For that kind of monies I would go residential with an inverter if dry camping. Or not worry about inverter if always on hookups.

That some serious cash for an absorption fridge.
Just remember.....all them bells/whistles doesn't mean better.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCat wrote:
so I will be ordering a Dometic RM1350MIMSS.Wow what sticker shock $3000 to $3600 for a fridge not including install !
That's a nice one. I love stainless.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like the cooling unit is bad, so I will be ordering a Dometic RM1350MIMSS.

Wow what sticker shock $3000 to $3600 for a fridge not including install !
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
sounds like a bad thermister uplug it then put the inside part in a glass of ice water more ice than water wait 10 minutes then check the ohms it should read between 8,000-10,000 ohms

A BAD thermistor will NOT stop cooling. It will stop adequate cooling. Doug

Doug ALL things ARE possabile i did have a thermister wire short and shut the board off but do believe the cooling unit is plugged as you do.
please also note the op stated as well of replacing the unit and not repairing it

OK, but in 30 years I have NEVER seen that happen. I have worked on thousands of refers. BUT, the fact remains, IF you suspect the Thermister, then unplug it at the board. A BAD thermistor will still OHM out correctly OR if shorted will indicate that. But, YOUR very rare short shut the board OFF. The OP's board did not shut off. There are multitudes of things that stray from the ordinary, you ALWAYS go for the simpler common items when troubleshooting. Doug

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
sounds like a bad thermister uplug it then put the inside part in a glass of ice water more ice than water wait 10 minutes then check the ohms it should read between 8,000-10,000 ohms

Doug ALL things ARE possabile i did have a thermister wire short and shut the board off but do believe the cooling unit is plugged as you do.
please also note the op stated as well of replacing the unit and not repairing it

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JCat wrote:
All lights are on, inside fridge and outside on the display.
No Yellow stuff in outside compartment/

JCat

At this point, the ONLY thing to do, is wire the 120 elements direct for 24 hours. IF the refer does not get below 10 in the freezer and 40 in the refer, the CU is bad, either blocked or a leaker. You don't always see the yellow ammonia residue on a leaker unless you dismantle the burner flue insulation cover. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If it is a cooling unit blockage I'd replace it with a residential compressor type fridge and add some solar panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The NDR1292 is NOT part of the recall.

You have panel lights and you can swap fridge from electric to gas operation but neither mode cools fridge (freezer and food sections)

So the 3A DC fuse on control module is good or you would not have panel lights.
The 'thermofuse' on stack hasn't tripped or you would not have panel lights.

So sounds like cooling unit has blockage.

Either replacement of cooling unit, replacement of fridge with another rv fridge or residential fridge

Dimensions of NDR 1292
Height---59 1/16"
Width----32 11/16"
Depth----24"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the fuses on the circuit board?
Has it had the recalls done if on list?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are your batteries? IE.. 12v supply.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
it has not worked for over 24 hours now, temps are 60 to 80 degrees
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
What is your temps there? If fridge is too cold, unit will not run and fridge and freezer will not cool. Solution is to open fridge door and run heat for a bit. Then try again.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.