cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Door works great but need advice

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
My rv door and locks work fine but on the interior side there is a long metal rod (about 2 inches) that needs to be pushed or pulled to lock or unlock the door from the inside. It hurts my fingers. Ive been looking for an original handle that used to be on it (right?) but im unable to find one for 2 possible reasons: im not sure what to call it to make my search turn up viable info and or they dont exist. Most motorhomes ive seen do not habe a handle on this little bar, but ive always just assumed it was cheap and it broke off.
11 REPLIES 11

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
PERFECT! Thank you

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My last RV had that same type of handle. As said; clean and lube, then slip something like this onto the slot, available in multiple sizes, at a hardware store near you, for less than a buck. That'll make it easier to pull.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

MrWizard
That button unscrews from the threaded rod it is connected to
You can remove it, and take it to the hardware store to find something that will fit over it, then maybe screw them together, or epoxy the knob to the pull button

Do you have an electronics surplus hobby shop in the area
They might have a supply of knobs that use 'set screws' to hold them to shafts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
It would help if you would edit your post to include a signature so members would know what kind of RV you have.

I am moving this to the Tech Issues forum. This one is for Modifications and Upgrades only. I am sure you will get some help there. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

If they want to add a handle to something that never had one how is that not a mod?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the diameter of the shaft? If it's a somewhat common size (like a quarter inch), you probably can find a knob with a grub screw for a potentiometer (a replacement volume knob for a stereo or whatever) that would work sufficiently, Actually, a small universal replacement faucet knob might also do the trick.

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Mr Wizard. I had a feeling that little rod never had a handle on it. Time to get on the computer with CAD and get some 3D printer time. Or I can first see if some WD will do the trick. It's in great shape, no need to replace everything. My hands just hurt sometimes. I thought just maybe there was a handle or one developed over all these years or thought it possibly a piece of junk handle that just happen to be gone on every rig ive ever seen kinda like the stupid plastic handles on the waste water pulls. Already upgraded those to metal a long time ago.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you talking about a 32 year old motorhome door lock assbly????? Doug

MrWizard
It use to be common for RV door locks to have a push pull button
That went straight in and out

Is that what you are talking about, there never was a handle on it
If the insides are properly lubed, it's usually not hard to pull or push unless there is substantial wear
I've had several RVs with that lock
it is not used or MFG anymore

Our current rv has a different lock it has a dead bolt with a little red handle
And another locking device for the door latch, a rod that sticks out and swings up or down in an arc
Again not hard to move

i think it has also been replaced by a newer model

I'm trying hard but (can't) picture what you are describing
And not finding pictures on Google that match what I'm thinking from your description
BUT a 1986 should have the lock in the top picture
(turned over) it is shown upside down from normal install position

i suggest you take it apart , clean with brake cleaner
and lube with something like 'teflon dry lube spray'

if this does not solve your problem, you should probably buy a NEW door lock
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you could drill a hole near the end of the lock rod and install a key ring through it to make it easier Heavy Duty Split Key Ring

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
And a photo of the latch would help too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would help if you would edit your post to include a signature so members would know what kind of RV you have.

I am moving this to the Tech Issues forum. This one is for Modifications and Upgrades only. I am sure you will get some help there. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine