cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duramax batteries drained by camper while plugged in.

smitty81503
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had my GMC duramax parked for two days with my truck camper plugged in to the
the house. I’ve been running the refrigerator in the camper . Now my two truck batteries only show about 10.4 volts and wont crank the engine. Any ideas what could be causing the discharge on the truck batteries? I have 2 six volt batteries in series for the camper itself.
'03 GMC Duramax 4X4
'05 Palomino Bronco pop-up
9 REPLIES 9

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Why would he have the fridge on 12v when hes plugged in to the house?

Same reason the batteries are dead. The 120V or the converter clearly wasn't working. If not the fridge, there's really nothing else that should pull down multiple batteries in only a couple days.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Why would he have the fridge on 12v when hes plugged in to the house?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
GM trucks have nothing to disconnect the camper batteries from the truck batteries. They are constantly hooked together as long as the 7 pin plug from the camper is plugged into the trailer. The solution is to unplug the cord from the truck when dry camping. Or, you can install a switch in the charge line and turn that off. If you want to automate the process I would install an automatic charge relay from Blue Sea systems or another reputable brand.

May not be possible to disconnect the cord with the truck camper loaded. Another solution is to pull the stud #1 fuse in the under hood fuse box.

However in this case, clearly the converter isn’t working and the truck and camper batteries were powering the fridge, I’m assuming in 12V mode since they died so quickly.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Also check you batteries, they could just be going bad?
If they're OEM, absolutely. Profile shows a 2003
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
GM trucks have nothing to disconnect the camper batteries from the truck batteries. They are constantly hooked together as long as the 7 pin plug from the camper is plugged into the trailer. The solution is to unplug the cord from the truck when dry camping. Or, you can install a switch in the charge line and turn that off. If you want to automate the process I would install an automatic charge relay from Blue Sea systems or another reputable brand.

yup, Cleary described in the truck owners manual. However I believe it is not all trucks, It is the diesel trucks or gas w/o the aux battery. IIRC dual battery gas trucks disconnect when the ignition is off.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You had the truck camper plugged into the house:

Well. Most trailers and motor homes have a device called a Converter. This "Converts" 120vac to battery voltage... I do not know if a "Truck camper" has one of these or not.. if not you may wish to add one I recommend a Progressive Dynamics 9200 most likely the 9245 or 9260 depending on your batteries (Total the C-20 amp hour capacity of yoru batteies and multiply by 0.3 that's the last 2 digits of the model number you wish to match)

Get a "P" model (plugs in, though you may need an adapter since some of them come with 20 amp plugs. ) or request a 15 amp plug.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Also check you batteries, they could just be going bad?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Does your truck camper have a converter/battery charger in it? If it does, my guess is it isn't working. The refer should be running off the 12 volt and the converter should be supplying enough to do that when plugged in to shore power without pulling from the truck.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer