Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric v manual awning??

gurn911
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I'm working on a non-conventional use of the awnings. I'm making a tailgating trailer. I used to have a 5th wheel that had a manual awning. I've looked at the electric awnings too.

I understand the basic differences between the two. What i'm really wondering, if used with a screen room (like a Buena Vista Room) to add enclosed space, is it too heavy for the electric awnings? I know some rooms are "made" for the electric awnings, but concerned the extra weight will cause the awning to fail. This will be an 18' awning.

Anyone have premature failure with their electric awning? Anyone use the Buena Vista room with their electric awning.

Thanks for the help. jim
Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2006 Chevy K2500 D/A CC SB
Pullrite 16K Superglide Prodigy BC
Firefighter/Paramedic
Wife, Cindy
David 12
Matthew 8
Abby golden retriever 13 (in memoriam)
8 REPLIES 8

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I am the odd one out. When I bought my new 5er, I asked if I could get it with a manual awning, and was told no. I wasn't very happy about that. I have come to love the electric, and my wife likes that she can put it out, where she was always nervous about the manual so she just wouldn't do it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

gurn911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Pretty much what I was thinking. I like the convenience of the electric, just not sure it's worth the potential hassle. I never thought it was difficult to put up my manual. Just needed to confirm.

jim
Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2006 Chevy K2500 D/A CC SB
Pullrite 16K Superglide Prodigy BC
Firefighter/Paramedic
Wife, Cindy
David 12
Matthew 8
Abby golden retriever 13 (in memoriam)

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I like my manual awning, now that it has new fabric. But I would like to mention, I worked on one of those slim line Fiamma awnings on a van conversion for a friend. I did not like the construction of it and it can not take any significant rain or wind. I was dissapointed because I like the way they look closed up on the vehicle and I wanted to replace my Dometic with one.. But not now after working on one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of different arm "styles", but all of them use aluminum that is so lightweight, I would be afraid of the arms bending/kinking with any additional weight. Most have such close spacing of the upper and lower arms is is nearly impossible to reinforce them, but I would try to do just that.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Also the manual awning from what Iโ€™ve had is more sturdy. I have a electric now and and but liked my old manual better.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
There is no difference between Manual versus Electric on weight capacity for a screen room. What does make a difference is how easy it is to adjust the awning height to make the room fit better. Manual will allow you to easily fine tune the height of the roller tube. Electrics depending on the model will have a harder time doing that. IF I had my choice, I would always go with a manual awning except on a hi line motorhome. I have installed and worked on awnings for 40 years, and I can almost deploy a manual awning as fast as a Electric will deploy. Electrics are great for elderly or physically impaired RV'ers.

What he said ^^^^. Manual awnings are easy to deploy and stow. I view my electric awning as just another thing to go wrong. If/when it dies, I'll go with a manual.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is no difference between Manual versus Electric on weight capacity for a screen room. What does make a difference is how easy it is to adjust the awning height to make the room fit better. Manual will allow you to easily fine tune the height of the roller tube. Electrics depending on the model will have a harder time doing that. IF I had my choice, I would always go with a manual awning except on a hi line motorhome. I have installed and worked on awnings for 40 years, and I can almost deploy a manual awning as fast as a Electric will deploy. Electrics are great for elderly or physically impaired RV'ers.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not think the screen room will cause the awning to fail but turn OFF the wind sensor when using it or damage may happen.

Frankly if I had my choice (I have an electric) I'd go with manual
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times