cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical/ converter issue

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect a converter issue but I need help. I have been having this issue since I accidentally left some lights on for several days in the camper, although I was on shore power. My battery indicator light shows a weak battery, however I had the battery checked, it is fine (new battery, almost 13 volts). My converter fan does not work. All the lights do work, but they don't come on right away, takes a few seconds.

I thought maybe I shorted out the fuses when I changed the battery, but the 2 40 amp fuses are fine. From what I can gather I may have low voltage coming from the converter and need to replace it. I am not confident in fooling with the converter, checking voltage etc. and will just take it in for replacement if that looks necessary. Am I on the right track?
15 REPLIES 15

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
Final update: My brother, who has considerable electrical experience, examined my problem. He discovered one of the battery cable connectors was never properly crimped (it came loose in his hand). After repairing the cable everything seems to be fine. Now I owe him a favor lol.

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I reviewed my insurance and I have an extended service policy that covers converters. So all I have to do is bring it to my dealer (free) or a licensed repair shop ($50 deductible). As I recall, the policy was expensive, but runs 7 years and covers most equipment failures.

I will be using the camper this weekend but will be on shore power. I will minimize the use of interior lighting. I hope that avoids any issues, then I can bring it in for repair next week.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
If you've got a regular battery charger you can throw that on for a while, or charge the batts with the engine. If the 12V stuff works like it used to when the charger is on, its definitely your converter.

If you have a 2011 WFCO converter, it time for it to go out about now. Change over to a PD, or you'll have the same problem in another 3 years.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I will try to find a mobile tech, fix the problem and go from there.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
A mobile tech can help you.
Jerry
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
If you confirm that the converter is dead, call Randy at Best Converter. He is really good at matching a great converter to your rig.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
If you are out of warranty on your charge controller, I have a PD9245 for sale, with pendant for bulk charging with the push of a button. Private message me if this interests you.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
2011 Rig could still be under warranty. You need to try to locate your converter. The converter could be covered by the converter's manufacturer's warranty
The newer converters are not that prone to failing. I would look for some other issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
It sounds like the converter is toast, especially if the fan used to run and now it doesn't.
Once the fan fails the charger will overheat and die.

Sounds about right. Besides, the converter should fully charge the battery when plugged into shore power for an adequate length of time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It sounds like the converter is toast, especially if the fan used to run and now it doesn't.
Once the fan fails the charger will overheat and die.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tigertracks wrote:
I just brought the battery in to be checked. It is almost new. He said it showed 12.5 volts. He put in on a full load 500 amp(?) and it worked fine. (It was 500 something)

I have no idea what kind of converter I have. I don't even know where it is.

Tiger, what kind of rig do you have? The converter is usually mounted low somewhere where you can get to it. It will have a door that opens and you'll see breakers and fuses inside. The make and model is usually on the door. Could be a bad converter.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thru a similar thing and it was the convertor. While on shore power, the battery indicator just kept going from green to yellow to red...to nothing. The convertor was not getting any power to the batteries, thus dead batteries. Had my repair man out and it was an easy thing for him to diagonose.

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
I just brought the battery in to be checked. It is almost new. He said it showed 12.5 volts. He put in on a full load 500 amp(?) and it worked fine. (It was 500 something)

I have no idea what kind of converter I have. I don't even know where it is.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect your batteries first.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141