cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Question-Breaker panel does not cut all power

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. Another understanding "new school" technology question. Dealership did supply new battery when we picked her up this spring. It's a cheap starter battery, but another time. We have come home from a few trips now and parked it on the drive. I go out in a few weeks and all is dead. I check the front mounted battery and it is dead so on the charger it goes. Let me say that we dry camped with a genny once and had full hookups another time. So the battery wasn't taxed while in the campgrounds, Happened again. Back on the charger Everything dc is running while on the charger. Ok fine. There is some draw while parked, so I should turn off all the breakers. But I notice the onboard stereo is still lit and the thermostat is still lit with all breakers off. Might there be an isolation switch I haven't found? I disconnected the ground on the battery. I'll be upgrading that anyway. Thoughts please.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
18 REPLIES 18

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
^Yup, need to disconnect at battery to cut all draw.

If you have let battery deplete several times already, you may have shortened it's life.

Jerry
Upgrading the tinker toy battery furnished is already on the list>.So is a cutoff switch.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know about all RV's, but I thought most, or all newer RV's came with a battery disconnect.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^Yup, need to disconnect at battery to cut all draw.

If you have let battery deplete several times already, you may have shortened it's life.

Jerry

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pretty much normal, there are always parasitic draws on the battery even with everything off (as you have discovered). You need to install a cutoff switch on the positive cable, at the battery.