cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expert Xantrex Freedom advice needed

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Xantrex Marine 2500 that was working great when I took it out of my RV and replaced it with a pure sine wave Xantrex inverter/charger. I sold it to someone with the remote panel but he called me back saying the Xantrex was working but it wouldn't work with the remote. It had previously worked great. When I got it back (I returned the money to the man) and open it up, it has a burnt spot right next to the Line 1 input spades, that scorched a relay right next to the input spades.

This is the back side of the circuit board showing the pins of the destroyed item. It has melted away as can be seen on the front.

Here is another picture showing the pins of the melted component.

The red arrows point to the remains of the pins and the blue arrows point to the power in spades just for reference. Whatever the device was it bridges the two leads from the power in Line 1. You can tell from the back side of the circuit board.Another look.

Here's the front again for reference with the arrows showing the burnt spot with the circuit board unscrewed and slide to the left a little ways.

Does anyone know what the device was that was soldered to the circuit board? Everything worked and the inverter still does but not with the remote. I can replace the relay that is scorched if need be but don't have a clue what the missing piece was. I believe it was round but it's gone. Thanks for any help. This was a nice inverter and I'd like to get it going again.
11 REPLIES 11

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Black is hot lead in. White is neural ac in and green is ground in. This is the AC-in's initial contact with the inverter. Nothing is between these wires and the spades on the boards. So whatever the missing two-lead component was, it is the very first thing ac goes through, as it bridges the two ac-in spades. Xantrex has nothing online that I could find that shows a schematic, and I couldn't find anyone else with one either. Hopefully someone has a two-line-in Freedom inverter sitting around that can identify the missing link. Thanks for your responses. Also if it helps, the scorch marks and the slight remains of the piece indicate it was round and maybe a half an inch across. That's all approximate. It does resemble a MOV from pictures I've seen, but I'm not knowledgeable on that level.

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem also. It was the result of connecting the incoming AC power incorrectly. When you list it on Ebay always say "as is."
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The sad thing, the new owner did something that he did not want to admit to. Always better to show the new owner it is working. Or say as is.
Now where do the green and white wire go to?
Now if you tell me he Black is 115 Vac hot, Green is 115 Vac ground and the white is neutral. Then I would say capacitor. As it bridges between the Hot and Nwttural
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

MrWizard
i dont think Xantrex ever published their schematics

if you find one its because somebody did a circuit trace 'manually' and then drew it out

i wonder if SAM's photo fact, ever did any on inverters

many years back i used to buy SAMS packs for many TVs car radios stereo decks and transmitters etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
There is another relay just like the scorched one that has part numbers clear on it, so I can get that if needed. I actually think the existing one might be fine, just ugly! But the obliterated part is beyond me. I've looked at my other Xantrex freedom that's a 2000 watt one, but it doesn't have the same board unfortunately. I think it's because this one has two line ins and my 2000 has only one. Whatever the missing component is, it bridges the two Line-in 1 spade leads. I wish I knew someone who had a two Line-in unit. It doesn't have to be Marine, because as far as I can tell there's virtually no difference between a Marine Xantrex and the Standard Freedom. Where would one find a schematic?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It wouldn't be a current transformer (or other sensing transformer) with only two legs.

I would guess some sort of a filtering component, possibly an MOV for (limited) transient voltage protection. If you can find someone with the same model of inverter, perhaps you could get a photo of the component in its pre-toasted state. An MOV would also correlate well with the rather spectacular destruction that's obvious.

MrWizard
might have been a filter choke, or a line sensing transformer ??
just tossing out ideas
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I wonder what he tried to run
That he shouldn't have that created so much heat
The weak link in these inverters seems to be the built in 'pass thru' aka transfer relay

Put a large load on the 120v circuit while the charger is also working hard and the input line over heats burns out the 'pass thru' relay
Mechanical or solid state
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
WAG is that the 12V deice is an isolation relay and circuit breaker in one. The part number on the outside of the black case may lead you to it's function. It is obscured in your images posted.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Like being shown a map of an unknown city and asking "Where Am I?"

Get a schematic from the manufacturer...? Goooooooooooooood luck.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you find a schematic?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman