cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fix for non-functioning "dummy" status lights

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
So, everyone always talks about how bad the sensors are for tank level monitoring, particularly in the black and grey tanks where they get coated in sludge and whatever else. We had never had problems and were thankful that the GEO method and dumping when full seemed to be working. Until one day it didn't...

Oddly, however, we noticed that not only was the grey tank stuck at 2/3rd or higher, but then the battery was always showing Low. And then the fresh tank was reading weird, which you wouldn't expect. Soon the black was stuck at 1/3rd. Based on the multiple failures, DH pulled out the circuit board and tried to determine if there was an issue. He didn't see anything visually abnormal, but decided the board was likely bad and we decided to spend the $50 (w/shipping) to get a new circuit board. DH installed it an all our sensors are reading accurately again. Hooray!

Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it helps anyone else. I always hear about bad sensors but never about the board going bad...
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs
3 REPLIES 3

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a SeeLeveL II gauge by Garnet Technologies that measures batt. voltage, fresh water, gray water, black water and Propane, with a switch to turn on my water pump. It measures a percentage of the tank capacity, i.e. 42%, 75%, etc.

If the tank has a capacity of 100 gals. and it shows 55% than I have 55 gals. in the tank. If the tank is 60 gal. cap and it shows 50% than I have 30 gals. in the tank.

Beats the old 4 monitor light system that was usually a wild guess.
No sensor lights to foul as the level sensing is on the outside of the tank.
http://www.rvgauge.com/products/model_709P3W.shtml
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to know, I didn't realize there was a circuit board behind the idiot lights as we have had no issues with battery or tank level indicators so I haven't had to investigate further. No chemical concoctions used in our case, just a simple flush after dumping black water, tank and sensors are clean and idiot lights reflect tank levels accurately. No issues with fresh, grey, or battery level indicators thus far.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for this. Bet we have one too. Phony readings out of the blue...